Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the second time in a year, I've had to reinstall my computer with all original disks due to problems. This time when I reinstalled everything, I can't get onto Internet Explorer, it says "page cannot be display". However when I go to My Computer and type an address on the address bar, I can get on. However, eventually I get a blue screen with stop messages. How can that be? I loaded with all original disks. I've been working on this for 4 days and am about ready for the funny farm. I purchased Norton 2007 as I thought I had a virus and loaded that in. I have cable DSL and when I contacted my cable provider, two people told me that it's a problem with Internet Explorer missing a file or driver or something. Help!!! My computer is moving closer to the open window. I'm not an expert, so please be gentle!!!
Patti

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't get onto Internet Explorer, it says "page cannot be display".
Can you explain in detail what this means? I can interpret it two different ways. Are you saying IE opens up, but won't get online, therefore you see the 'page can't be displayed' error? Or do mean IE won't even open?

I purchased Norton 2007 as I thought I had a virus and loaded that in.
Usually you cannot install antivirus software AFTER you are infected and expect it to work properly. At this point it may be too late.

Perhaps you could explain why you think you are infected, as this may be a clue as to what it going on.

I think the answer lies with your possible infection, or if it is hardware related then the answer lies on the blue screen.

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)​

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, let's see I've been working on it for 5 days now. In the beginning, my computer started going to the blue screen no matter what I did. Whether I was on-line or not. Each time the message was a little different. No set pattern of messages. No matter what I did, it would not stay running. So after talking with several techies, I downloaded, avast, avg, spybot and one other one. Found a few virus's but the computer still did the same thing. Then it also kept giving me errors stating the system has encountered an error. Then I purchased the Norton, did a pre-scan, but it found nothing. After all was said and done, I dumped it all, and reloaded windows xp. Now I can get on-line, usually went to microsoft website trying to get answers and the bluescreen comes on. Can't stay on long enough to get the answers to my questions. Can't understand why after reloading everything that I still have a problem. Could it possibly be hardware? Also, one thing, I originally had my cable company's anti-virus software they provided, but had to delete it before loading in Norton. I don't know, I've done so much now, that I think it needs a one-way trip down two flights!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Could it possibly be hardware?
Yes, it could. You gave good answers to the questions, but we still need the actual message on the blue screen, even if it is different each time. Report here each time when you see a blue screen and what the message is.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it did it again. The blue screen stated "page fault in non paged area
then stop:0x00000050 (ox80000.........

I'm also getting a local registry error telling me to go to registry update.com and down load the registry cleaner. Of course haven't done that.

Patti

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hello Patti, After watching ur posts I can only think of three problems...
1. RightClick MyComputer > Manage > Device Manager, check and tell me if there is any hardware with the yellow traingle in the front of it...
2. Your computer is affected by a Virus/Trojan....
3. Memory Problem...Run www.memtest.org to check and see if thats the problem...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. However, last night went from bad to worse. Tried reloading windows xp and it kept locking up and went into a loop. Couldn't finish loading and couldn't stop the loading. I've given up. Have called a local PC Doctor to take it and fix it. Six days of this is more than I can take. I think you're right, I either have a trojan, or else a hardware problem. Either way, I'll let a professional take care of it. It's worth every penney to pass it on!!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot for all of your help. I will let you know.
I feel like I'm going through withdrawals. lol
Patti

·
Registered
47 Posts
withdrawals. lol
I know what you mean!

I thought I put down a couple of more thoughts here, just in case others with the same issue wish to pursue it.
Well it did it again. The blue screen stated "page fault in non paged area then stop:0x00000050 (ox80000.........
Well, the first thing I would check is the RAM memory:

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic
Memtest86

I'm also getting a local registry error telling me to go to registry update.com and down load the registry cleaner. Of course haven't done that.
A sure sign of an infection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.