Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I am unable to install this driver I have! I'm trying to install a driver for a NIC card. From what I could read on the card it self it's a ADMtek 938b card. I have DLed drivers some several different places, all of them include 3 files. I tried installing it by going into Device Manager but only one file shows up (netadm9x(text)) and when I select that I get "Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device. To search..." as an error.
Thank you in advance to anyone that attempts helping me!

The file names are:
ADM9X.sys
Netadm9x(security catalog)
Netadm9x(text file)

I'm trying to install it on a machine using Win2k.

Please let me know if I can do anything to help you help me :sad:

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Download Everest (see link below) and install it. Select the Computer icon, then Summary, in right pane at bottom is the network adapter which identifies your NIC in blue text, if you click that blue text it will give you a link for drivers.

The file names are:
ADM9X.sys
Netadm9x(security catalog)
Netadm9x(text file)
ADMtek 938b, I think this should be ADMtek 983b, these are the typical files for that nic...
ADM9X.sys
Netadm9x.cat
Netadm9x.inf

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, those are the files. But what the heck do I do with them?
When I select the .inf file and ok it the wizard gives me a "could not find drivers" error.

·
OmegaDawn
781 Posts
Looks like you need to check the manufacturers web site
for an updated driver.
Those are windows 95-98 drivers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
leroys1000 said:
Looks like you need to check the manufacturers web site
for an updated driver.
Those are windows 95-98 drivers.
It's spossed to be 2000
Hell, the folder says "2000" right on it. Plus, I can't even find ADMtek's website, I'm gussing they went out of biz.

EDIT: Nope, they got aquired http://pcburn.com/article.php?sid=264

2ndEDIT: Well the company that aquired them supports the card (thank god), so I'm dling the driver from their site, hopefully this will work. I'll update in 5 minutes with result.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Did you try right-clicking Netadm9x.inf and select install?

I attached the only one I could find that says xp and is different than the win9x-2k one, if you want to give it a try.

Also, a lot of NIC's use Novell NE2000 Compatible driver as a default so you can try install, select list of known drivers and choose: Novell NE2000 Compatible.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Stu_computer said:
Did you try right-clicking Netadm9x.inf and select install?

I attached the only one I could find that says xp and is different than the win9x-2k one, if you want to give it a try.

Also, a lot of NIC's use Novell NE2000 Compatible driver as a default so you can try install, select list of known drivers and choose: Novell NE2000 Compatible.
:| none of that worked.
When I right clicked the screen just flickered.

·
retired
1,966 Posts
Well, they were mass market (bottom of the barrel) NIC cards. A good new NIC card isn't that costly so I think it might be better to get another one than spend your time on a card that may never work properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stu_computer said:
Well, they were mass market (bottom of the barrel) NIC cards. A good new NIC card isn't that costly so I think it might be better to get another one than spend your time on a card that may never work properly.
I'm going to try my luck installing a linksys one I had laying around.
Thanks for trying to help me though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.