Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone. I recently purchased Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y120P0 120GB Ultra ATA/133 7200RPM Hard Drive. But i'm having trouble installing OS. When I boot from windows XP CD, the hard drive is not displayed in the list, I press F6 in the beginning of installation and use Promise ATA133 Driver Floppy that came with the hard drive. But even after driver setup, the hard drive is not recognized. If I use ATA/133 driver that came with my motherboard, the drive is listed, but I get Blue Screen of Death at the end of installation. The hard drive is fully formatted and partitioned using NTFS. The hard drive is correctly installed and jumper is set correctly (master) I also have another hard drive (Seagate 40 gb ATA/100) that is also set as master.
Oh yeah another thing: my new HD is regognized as SCSI in system properties ( i had OS installed on all HD)
Need your help people
Thanx in advance

S

·
0 Posts
Hello and Welcome xraizer4000.................:D

How are these two hard drives connected to the motherboard?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Try using the Cable Select (CS) selection and putting it on the end of the cable. I have a Promise embedded controller, and for some reason it wouldn't function properly with master/slave jumpering, but liked the CS jumpering fine.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
speedo, I understood what you were asking, but my point was that my Promise embedded controller wouldn't work properly, even when the drive was at the end of the cable and jumpered as master. When I changed it to CS, it worked fine. I still don't know why it should matter. :confused:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, it should install normally, with the exception of loading the Promise drivers early in the install, which you've tried.

There is another way to install it, connect the drive to the MB IDE controller, install the O/S, and the Promise drivers. Then move the drive over to the Promise controller.

Oh, and the Promise is always recognized as a SCSI device, just as any other mass storage device that uses it's own BIOS, normal operation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.