Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I need help in securing my wireless network from any unwanted people trying to access my network but I'm not exactly sure how to. I read various threads about this topic before deciding to ask for help myself. Please excuse my language cause I'm not very sure of the technical terms. My various questions are:

1. Is it true that if your router's lights are flickering when your computer is shut down, someone might be using your connection?
2. When checking with my home network, I noticed this thing called SSID broadcast. Will it help in my connection speeds if I disable it?
3. My wireless security says WPA-PSK. Is it possible for someone to break this code?
4. (this may sound dumb but I'm probably paranoid) I opened a port so that I can host warcraft games. Will it allow people to access through this port?
5. According to my firewall, it says

IP Address Attacker Domain High Risk Med Risk Low Risk
219.74.64.104 bb219-74-64-104.singnet.com.sg 0 0 1 View attack details
221.238.147.12 Not available 0 0 1 View attack details

What does it mean?

Thank you for your time in helping me solve these problems.

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
If you use a long and random WPA key (20 characters and numbers), you are quite secure. Don't disable SSID, or other so-called security measures, they just make it harder for you to use your own network.

The router's lights blinking is probably normal, mine do all the time.

·
Citizen of the world
51,151 Posts
Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you. :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.