Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help i don't know what to do i can't start my good PC :upset:

The problem started with it saying at start up that the cpu fan is not running (i checked it though it spins when i start it). I then bypased that to see if there was some error, but after a few seconds of what seemd to be loading i got this blue screen saying something about my bios not being updated enough for API or something.:confused:

I run win xp and my pc is just under a year old. I have ordered another cpu fan just in case but maybe my fan prblm is related to the bios problem or vice versa... heeeelp me:angry2:

thnx for help v much

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Post the exact blue screen as they are diffrent ...did you change items in the system causing an error with activation??

Was the fan not running for a while and damaged the PC --HEAT problems SUCK:angry2:

If it is under a year old...what about a warranty???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I din't really change anything- one day it was runnig normally i go to bed the next day POOF cpu fan not running, bios not acpi compliant :upset:

My pc manufacturers are being very weasel-ish about it saying things like -

"Are you sure it said that"
"You have tampered with the hardware haven't you?"

I only managed to call them once i think they have THE worst customer support line in the world (ironically they say ti is the best): u have to pay like 1 pound a minute (i live inb uk), it is only open 9 to 5 when i am at school so i can almost never phone unless at lunch time X(

As for the exact blue screen, i will have to say as much as i can remember (it takes me like 30 minutes to switch from this old pc to the new broken one cos the share monitors, this is sorta my bak up pc without any good specs or a graphix card):

- it said that windows had a severe problem and had to be shut down to prevent serious damage (something liek that)
- then it said that if this is the first time this happened i should restart the comp if not follow the following steps (i restarted many times so it was no fluke)
-then it said: your bios may be non acpi compliant or complatible i am not too sure, it then said i may need an update and gave me an odd website like update.something.com and then said i could bypass acpi when updating bios by pressing f7

ik think that is it or at leats that is all i can remember

thnx for your help i have been frantically pressing refresh for like 20 minutes:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh and i dont think there were any serious heat problems, i checked isnide all there was was a looot of dust :no:

it has been making this weird noise for some time but i did not crash or anything and the noise would stop after a while and re appear occasionnaly

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
you have issues....sounds like hard drive and or motherboard....what is the warranty on the system....if so stick to you guns and threathen (nicley of couse) alot of publicity....ask to move up the line on tech support...to supervisors or thier supervisor's supervisor...metion how the magazines that rated them high might be intrested in THE LACK OF support...since you commented about pounds then you are not from the US...but you should have something like...better business burea, the Fair trade commision or a local GOVT offical who might help...if it is an american comany the FTC ( www.FTC.org) might help

out of warranty....
remove everything but hte video card memory monitor keyboard and mouse...does something change...if so replace items one by one till you find the culprit ...if not...try a motherboard replacement...then memory...then...till you rebuild a new system...

Not computer savy the it might be worth going to a repair shop...

or purchacing a NAME BRAND (HP DELL IBM -would not treat you like this) system and using the damaged one for testing

G/L

Check with M$...I belive you get 1 free tech support call with XP...try them...

get on the companys support website and see if there is download or atleast a bios flash you can do....

stick around these boards....there might be some other ideas...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch I hope my files are retrievable I left all my gcse coursework on my pc X(

(gcse coursework is like homework but it counts for 25% of your gcse which is sorta like SATs/IB)

Thnx u are the only one who supports me

I guess i should go try the sales place where i got the PC (cos odly enough the manufacturer do not provide the PCs themselves u have to go to a 3rd party like PCworld/curries, etc.. They are quite reputable.

finger crossed

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Good luck....and give this thread a couple of days...I am sure others will post as well...

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
The blue screen of deaf, try putting more compound on the heatsink and fan

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
..also pay attention to the way the air circulates through your machine...air should move in from the front panel and out the rear...some people like to add more fans to their system which is usually either a fan on top, near the power supply ("blowhole") or a fan on the side of the case...but thats only if you feel confident about drilling holes in your pc and adding more fans... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.