Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK! - Where do i start?

My limewire stopped working and wouldn't open. So i removed it and reinstalled it - still the same. I even wasted my money and brought PRO and obviously didnt make a difference.
I then figured it must be Java so i tried to uninstall that however even though it appeared to be uninstalled, everytime i would try to reinstall Java it would prompt me something like

''This Software has already been installed on your computer, would you like to continue to reinstall?'' - and when i select yes the box disappears!!​

Also i had an blank icon on my control panel that i couldnt do anything with.
After 5 hours on the net trying to find out how to remove the icon I ended up removing it by downloading a app called 'Shell Object Editor'
I thought that must have resolved it however i continued to have the same message appear saying it was still installed however when i clicked 'yes' this time a message followed:

''This action is only valid for products that are currently installed''​

By doing an advanced search, i was able to bring up all the files related to java including the hidden/non-indexed files and deleted them all however there were 3 files named 'Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0' that would delete??? Another message

ITEM NOT FOUND
This is no longer located in <%3NULL:OpText>. Verify the item's locations and try again.​

The Icon for this file is a white blank paper icon if that helps and it wont let me move it to recycle bin or rename it or go into properties.

Im sure this is what i need to delete to allow me to install java again but I DONT KNOW HOW????

Please help me!!!!
Before you respond just want to add that i have already tried the following things:

Uninstalling from Control Panel
Tweak UI - didnt know how to use that?
Shell Object Editor - would let me select expert mode like it did when i remove the icon from control panel?
Windows install Clean up
Rebooting

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
I suggest that you proceed to to our Security Center, Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help Forum, to have your system reviewed by a Security Analyst. Be sure to follow THESE STEPS carefully before posting your logs in the Security Forum.

Please be patient as the Security Analysts are very busy and one will get to you as soon as possible.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,737 Posts
Hi, yes with limewire you expose yourself to infection. If you right click on the icon select properties is it a 0 byte file? If so this will remove it (it can be done manually (you need the full path and file name not the 8.3 ) try this :-
http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/index.htm

I agree with JC you should have your system checked out at our security forum. if that is clear come back and we will get Java back for you (needs reg mods)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Alright. That was alot of text. Let's try to simplify this down so myself and anyone else knows what your problem is.

1. Your limewire isn't working.
2. You have an icon in your CONTROL PANEL that has no picture attached to the icon, just a blank little white page meaning it's a dead link.
3. You're having issues getting Java install/uninstalled.

Amirite?

Do I have that right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah basically but i no longer have the icon on my control panel, but i do have a 'dead link' icon hidden on my computer and i believe its that icon that is stopping me from uploading Java.

i found the icon by doing a 'Java' search on my computer and it found three blank icons that i can't delete, can't move, cant doing anything with???

All i want to do is install Java but its saying i already have it installed???

Any Ideas?

·
Microsoft-Team Manager , Hardware - Team Manager
68,700 Posts
Hi, yes with limewire you expose yourself to infection. If you right click on the icon select properties is it a 0 byte file? If so this will remove it (it can be done manually (you need the full path and file name not the 8.3 ) try this :-
http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/index.htm

I agree with JC you should have your system checked out at our security forum. if that is clear come back and we will get Java back for you (needs reg mods)
hi have you tried the tool jenae suggested in her post you could also try http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/or http://www.revouninstaller.com/ and please take the advice regarding a system check from the guys at security it cant hurt and you will know for certain if something else is the cause of your issue or not

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i have tried purgie and its needs a path and just by looking at the other downloads they need it too however with this file it has no path ????

I type into the search field 'java' and it come up with three icons i cant remove or do anything with and all that happens when i click on it is a message box apprears...

ITEM NOT FOUND
This is no longer located in <%3NULL:OpText>. Verify the item's locations and try again.​

how would i find a path for this icon/file???

Cheers Guys

·
Banned
103 Posts
OK! - Where do i start?

My limewire stopped working and wouldn't open. So i removed it and reinstalled it - still the same. I even wasted my money and brought PRO and obviously didnt make a difference.
I then figured it must be Java so i tried to uninstall that however even though it appeared to be uninstalled, everytime i would try to reinstall Java it would prompt me something like

''This Software has already been installed on your computer, would you like to continue to reinstall?'' - and when i select yes the box disappears!!​

Also i had an blank icon on my control panel that i couldnt do anything with.
After 5 hours on the net trying to find out how to remove the icon I ended up removing it by downloading a app called 'Shell Object Editor'
I thought that must have resolved it however i continued to have the same message appear saying it was still installed however when i clicked 'yes' this time a message followed:

''This action is only valid for products that are currently installed''​

By doing an advanced search, i was able to bring up all the files related to java including the hidden/non-indexed files and deleted them all however there were 3 files named 'Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0' that would delete??? Another message

ITEM NOT FOUND

The Icon for this file is a white blank paper icon if that helps and it wont let me move it to recycle bin or rename it or go into properties.

Im sure this is what i need to delete to allow me to install java again but I DONT KNOW HOW????

Please help me!!!!
Before you respond just want to add that i have already tried the following things:

Uninstalling from Control Panel
Tweak UI - didnt know how to use that?
Shell Object Editor - would let me select expert mode like it did when i remove the icon from control panel?
Windows install Clean up
Rebooting
Solution: 1: Create restore point and take registry backup.
2: Delete all unwated software's, and toolbar, security software's. from program and feature.

3: Delete all temp files.

4: reset internet explorer and register all .dll files.
5: scan with spyware removal and hijacthis and trojon removal tool.
6: Restart the computer and check windows update. if found and then update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.