Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Need Some Advice. My Computer Became Sluggish Like It Had A Virus Then Froze Up, Then When You Went To Turn It On All It Would Do Is Keep Rebooting. I Formated Drive C With Dos Command Format C. And Tried To Put Back In Os. It Will Only Go So Far Then Tell You Of Error On Drive. Have Formated Again, But To No Avail. Would You Think It Is A Hd Issue Or A Mother Board Issue. Any Help Is Always Much Appreciated.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

Whenever I have a hard drive that got sluggish or an OS that gets boogered up / I always wipe the drive clean then install the OS

All windows operating systems will begin to run like a crappy snail after about two years / between spyware and just floods or crap in the registry

formatting a drive often doesnt do the complete wipe you think it would.

try this prog (free) then "clean" install your OS

http://dban.sourceforge.net/ >>> download the floppy version / make sure you dont have the power connector active in any drives you DONT want wiped / this prog is capable to erasing multiple drives / it runs rather slow do to its 3 pass method / so just let it do its thing

let us know how you progress

regards

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More Information

I used the progam suggested to clean the drive, then did and an fdisk and a format of c. the operating system will start to load then stop and frezze up, sometime with an error message such as application error w98 setup cause a general protection fault in module krnl386.exe at 0001:80ez the messages vary. got any other ideas anyone. thanks.....

john

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

I would suggest installing the drive as a slave in another computer and running the manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic utility to be sure its healthy ????

please give your full system specs with PSU maker and model

try another PSU if you can borrow one ~~

let us know

cheers

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks

Hard drive is over 2 years old. I only have a lap top so no other way of checking, but im still guessing the hd is dead. does this sound reasonable before i spend 80- 100. thanks again
john

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.