Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new with Linux so please be nice...
I'm running Linux 8.0 and have a QLogic 2340 fiber controller configured for modular use only. It is configured properly and works just fine. The problem that I have is that the driver does not load at boot time. I need to run 'modprobe qla2300' in order to get it loaded. The instructions that I followed to set this up came from QLogic and seem to be accurate however after modifying the /etc/modules.conf file to add the 'alias scsi_hostadapter qla2300' statement they have you run 'mkinitrd initrd-2.4.20-18.8.img 2.4.20-18.8' to create a new ram disk. It is my understanding that this ramdisk then loads the drivers at boot time. They then say to reboot the machine. I do this and the driver is not loaded. I use the 'lsmod' command to verify it. If I then run the 'modprobe qla2300' it loads and the drives are available until I reboot. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to how I can get the drivers to load automatically at boot time?

Thanks
Ken McClain

·
Registered
711 Posts
We're always nice here! :)

You need to add the ramdisk to your /etc/lilo.conf file so that it boots the ramdisk at boot time. Here's a look at mine, if you're using grub by chance let me know and I'll research that for you as well.

# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /vmlinuz
vga=791
initrd=/initrd.splash
root = /dev/hda1
label = Linux
read-only
# Linux bootable partition config ends

See where it says initrd? well you'll need to modify that for your setup but that should get you rolling!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.