Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm new to this forum, I've been lurking reading random tips that have applied to me in the past, however, I am faced with a situation that's unique to me, I think...

First of all, I've recently built a new computer, and I will go into detail as to what is going on both physically and computationally.

The computer is in a Antec 182 Case. When I purchased the case, NewEgg.com had a bundle deal with a Quattro 850 PSU, so I purchased it. After buying it, I find that the PSU BARELY squeezes into the PSU cage of the case; I have to squeeze the cables through, some bending close to 90 degrees.

I am using a Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L motherboard. It has the P45 chipset as well as a ICH10 southbridge (not ICH10R).

I have 8 gigabytes of RAM installed as well as an IDE hard drive and optical drive with 4 SATA hard drives.

Lastly, there's a PCIEx16 GeForce 8500GT video card. Other than that, no PCI or PCI-E peripherals.

Before installing, I fully formatted all of the drives and checked for corrupt or bad sectors. None were found.

Here's where things start to get hairy...

After install, there is immense system instability. I've installed 9 times now, and EVERY time, after about 20 minutes of usage installing drivers, there are virtual memory problems (the system is running out... etc) even though there is a 4GB page file. Increasing the page file to 8GB hasn't made a difference, either.

Also, when transferring large files from an SATA drive to another SATA drive, every time, there is always a BSoD event that happens after about 30 seconds - 2 minutes of transfer time. There is no consistency in the messages, they are different every time, from IRQ_NOT_LESS to MEMORY_MAINTENENCE and just general STOP messages, sometimes referring to ntsys32.dll and sometimes not.

When downloading large files, like SP2 or trying to slipstream, there is ALWAYS at least one corrupt file or archive involved.

The computer is not overclocked, infact, I'm using a 9.0 multiplier instead of the 9.5 multiplier that's native to my E8500 Core 2 Duo.

AHCI -IS- Enabled however, the installed OS is on the IDE drive that's the master on the chain. SATA is in Native mode, not Legacy mode and all SATA data and power cables are secure.

I have a collection of over 100 dumps, however, they are all different and no pattern can be discerned. :upset:

Lastly, even though I have an illuminated keyboard, my Razer Copperhead Mouse doesn't seem to be re-recognized when I reboot, half the time, again, totally random. I have to unplug and replug. The LED's in the mouse are fully lit, however.

Actually, one more thing, heh, Windows sees a removable drive that I have no idea where it's seeing it from... :4-dontkno

In previous installations, the server service would not start due to bad stub data, which I've NEVER seen before from an independant service... The error has since dissappeared after reformatting the drive completely and merging partitions and reinstalling. :sigh:

Any ideas would be SERIOUSLY appreciated. Thanks everyone!

-J :pray:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Hello & welcome to TSF,

first of all

are you useing the (F6) to install the drivers for the raid set up ?

are you useing a raid card or relying on the windows based set up ?

what type of card for raid are you useing ?

now dose your system reconnize all the drives in the bios ?

with that many drives you need a raid set up of some type for windows will only handel 2 harddrives at max

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello & welcome to TSF,

first of all

are you useing the (F6) to install the drivers for the raid set up ?

are you useing a raid card or relying on the windows based set up ?

what type of card for raid are you useing ?

now dose your system reconnize all the drives in the bios ?

with that many drives you need a raid set up of some type for windows will only handel 2 harddrives at max
Well, I'm not trying to set up a raid. I just want them to be discrete drives. I'm not using the F6 to install the drivers... I'm slipstreaming an installation right now since I have no floppy drive.

Further, then, no raid card.

The system does, after and before install, recognize the drives. It does in the BIOS as well.

What do you mean it will only handle 2 drives? :4-dontkno

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
hello ,

sorry for the delay

been felling under the weather

i am still looking for the the link to explain how it works with adding more then 2 harddrives to windows xp (any version) this way you will have a full understanding

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.