Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am very new to Linux and would like to know how I would go about setting up my Dual screen system with the Red Hat Linux 7.3 OS.

My setup is below.

PC:
- Dell Dimension 8200
- P4 1.9 GHz
- 1024 MB RDRAM
- 64 MB GeForce3 Video Card AGP
- 32 MB TNT2 M64 Video Card PCI
- 2 x Dell P991 UltraScan Monitors

Linux Distribution and Version:
- Red Hat 7.3
- Kernel 2.4.18
- XFree86 4.2
- KDE 3.0
- GNOME 1.4

GUI Chosen:
- KDE

Installtion:
- All components, including video cards detected and installed correctly during setup

In a Windows XP environment, I am able to setup my Dual screen configuration without any problems.

Does anyone know if I can implement this in Red Hat 7.3? If so, what do I need to do? So I need to add something in a file, edit settings within the KDE GUI?

HELP!!!

If you guys require any other information, please let me know and i'll be more than happy to provide for you.

Hope someone can help :)

Cheers guys,

::[ ToaDz ]::

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding.

Can I do implement this with RH 8.0?

I appreciate your reply.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I don't know. But off hand, I would think there would be more support for it on the newest version instead of one that is several versions behind.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Linux is not like Windows, its new versions are not really that different, they normally include an updated kernel, security fixes and some updated RPM's. But if you run RH update for 7.3 you can get the updated kernel and security fixes .. and some of the RPMS that come with 8 are problematic anyway, like apache 2 .. which is not compadible with PHP 4 right now, what a headache that was .. anyway, you dont need to upgrade unless you want to download the ISO's for the rest of your life or buy 8.0 at the store ....

Are you sure that both your cards are detected correctly? What card is it currently using to run KDE?

·
Registered
711 Posts
The newest "cough" buggy as hell "cough" Nvidia drivers support NView aka dual screen support, its not directly affected by a setting within Linux itself, its support by the modules aka drivers. Hope this steers you in the right direction :)

Drew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.