Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently had a case and a mobo come.. my first build.. and i had everything hooke dup great windows running and decided to hook up the lcd display.. so like you said i was puzzled over the two black wire ends labeled "HDD LED" when the mobo only had one spot for this.. and also my case had the 2 temperature probes.. and i was puzzled as to how to mount those where they need to be... but probably the most confusing thing for me to figure out was how to get power tot he case... the wire leading from the front of the case had a 3 pin male end (the same kind you see for cpu fans and case fans) and even with the power supply on and powering everything up the front didnt come on... and i pressed all the buttons.. nothing.. so i decided in between boots to try to hook that 3 pin connection into the power supply, since i had one of those 3 pin --> 4 pin molex adapters laying around, and i wasnt sure whether or not that adapter came with the case or not because everything was in one big pile.. so i hooked the adapter into the 3 prong lead.. and hooked in a 4 pin molex directly from my PSU.. then powered on and AHHHH SMOKE from the front of the lcd display unit.. seemed to be white smoke centered around the round battery. Well either way i dont know what happened by doing that.. but i think it fried my motherboard.. because after that the system would not POST or make any beeps whatsoever. Even bought a new powersupply from bestbuy and tried hooking just the video card, RAM and cpu in.. still nothing.. so pretty sure it was the mobo.. so i sent it in for RMA. If you could tell me the proper way to go about doing this i would be so VERY MUCH APPRECIATIVE because i also RMA'ed the case and got a new one (hopefully with a better manual) that also has a lcd readout display. It should be here by the weekend.

PLEASE HELP ME SO I DONT RUIN ANOTHER MOBO AND WASTE MORE OF MY TIME

MY mobo is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130038

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
What is the function of the LCD display? What case do you have? It sounds like you gave too much power to the LCD by using that adaptor. By my own experience, connectors like that should be plugged into a fan port of some kind on the mobo. that way they get enough power, but not enough to fry them. Are there any connections between the mobo and the LCD display? If you gave the LCD too much power, it could have pushed too much to the mobo and fried that too.

the HDD LED gets plugged in by where the power button connects to the mobo. It is what makes the LED at the front flash when the HDD is getting accessed.

Temp sensors should probably be mounted by the PSU and in the general are of all your components.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, before i had this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811195028

But since it got fried, i RMA'ed it just to be sure, but int he meantime decided on a case, that by the way has a better manual that i downloaded fromt heir website, so hopefully ill be ok.

I did everything to rule out the other hardware.. i HOPE it didnt fry my CPU :( i reset the CMOS, pulled battery out for 5 minutes, i took out the ram to listen for the beeping, i took out the processor and tried the mobo alone, i tried a BRAND NEW PSU and still nothing. I tried everything i could, so hopefully that mishap didnt ruin any of my other parts, do you think there is a chance that it could have? The only thing i did differently was plug the lcd cord into a 4pin molex, and then it went smokey smokey, so idk. RMA'ed mobo and case tho, so i can start fresh next week, and hopefully learn from my mistakes.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
only thing i did differently was plug the lcd cord into a 4pin molex, and then it went smokey smokey
i am a little confused at this .. what is this about?
the 4 pin molex power connector usually plugs into the mainboard when required.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, i dont mean the motherboard 4 pin molex... i mean the standard 4 horizontal pin molex connecter from the PSU, like the ones that hook up fans, and cathodes etc.

·
Premium Member
8,701 Posts
Get back to us with the make and model of your case and motherboard.
You will find that all the wires from the front of the case usually connect to the one header on the motherboard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.