Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm hoping you all can help me :pray:

Well I've had Bellsouth DSL for about 7 or 8 years and have had no problems whatsoever. About.. two years ago I got a new wireless router, Linksys, and there were problems. First I did the technical support where I would talk to people online (Linksys people), but the problem would just come back the next day, it would disconnect and just stay disconnected. We contacted Bellsouth and they sent us a new router, their new Motorola one. Everything was working smoothly now, I guess the old router (Bellsouth) wasn't up to par with the Linksys WRT54GS because the modem was ancient! But it worked fantastic. So for the next two years, I had no problems at all. Then up until recently, I'd say about the 21st-22nd of May, my internet would suddenly die down out of nowhere. I would have to unplug the adapter, then plug it back in and it would restart. This would happen every 2-3 hours. I haven't used my wireless router in awhile so I figured I'd just hook the modem directly to the computer, and that may have been the problem (Linksys again lol). However.. it wasn't. It would still continue to disconnect every 2-3 hours. I reset and restarted the device, and problems still persist. I know many people may think oh it's not too bad, but I'm a gamer and it's such an annoyance to be disconnected out of nowhere and my dad does business work on the computer, disconnected while doing busy work is very fatal for him! Also sometimes the Ethernet light on the Motorola modem would be off o.o And then start blinking, I don't think that's good either!

My dad thinks its because of the bad weather.. I'm not too sure about that seeing I've used the internet during hurricanes if the power didn't go out yet lol, and it's been rather stormy the passed few days, but I don't see the correlation. :[

Any advice or solving this problem needed ! D:

EDIT: Also I haven't done anything different whatsoever, such as downloading new stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would suggest upgrading the firmware on your Linksys, this can correct alot of known issues and possibly yours too. You can also explore the DD-WRT frimware that may be compatible with your linksys Router, it's much more reliable and basically turns a $60 router into a $400.00 enterprise router, you can google 'DD-WRT' if you want more info on it.

Hope that helps, good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks but there is nothing wrong with my Linksys :(

It's the internet itself, I was just stating how before the internet wouldn't work because of the old modem not being compatible with the Linksys wireless router. But the new modem (Motorola), I had no problems. Also, how when I directly connected the modem to my computer, I still had problems.

Sorry if I didn't clarify but thank you for your time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem has gotten worse, all of a sudden it just disconnects every 20-30 minutes or less, and on its own for about 10 seconds. I have no idea what it could be...

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,024 Posts
Connect directly to the modem with a wired connection bypassing the router. Run the following tests.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

DSLReports

Here's also the Line Quality Tests FAQ to help you understand the results. This will answer some questions about the line quality display.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have had my connection directly connected to the modem (sorry I forgot to mention that) and now I disconnect about every 20-40 minutes for a few seconds.. then it boots itself or something. There is nothing wrong with my wireless router. I have a Motorola 2210-02 modem and I have DSL, Xtreme 6.0 by AT&T. I did what you said and these is my stats. I've been having trouble, and I did three tests. The last one is the latest.

First test: http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2525077

Second test (I disconnected in the process...): http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2525078

Third test: http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2525081

Thank you for replying, I have been desperate. I called AT&T twice. First time they had me reset a password. Then the other time I called, I had my password renewed. Right after I was done calling the second time, I disconnected and problems persisted. :(

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,024 Posts
The first and second tests show some issues, the third test looks clean.

I'd start by having them replace the modem. Next, I'd check ALL the phone connections and make sure the proper filters are installed on all the phone equipment EXCEPT the modem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.