Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Windows XP, and everytime I try to delete stuff off my desktop, I get an error that says my hard disk is full (it isn't) or is locked (it isn't). Furthermore, my validation keeps failing (the OS was loaded from the factory), I can't run some programs (Windows Media Player, QuickTime, HijackThis, maybe a few others), and the computer takes eons to start up. Can someone help me out here? I'm about ready to throw the computer into the wall and go Office Space on it. :upset:

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
7,738 Posts
It sounds like you have been attacked with malware.

Don't Panic! The HJT Support Team are very proficient with these sorts of things.

With that said,
I recommend that you read this article… "IMPORTANT - 5 Step Process: Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help"; follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the HiJackThis Log Help Forum.
(Simply, click on the coloured links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the HiJackThis Log Help Forum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The 5 Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to The HJT Help Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

After your system has been verified as clean, if your are still experiencing those problems come back here and we will assist you further.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like you have been attacked with malware.

Don't Panic! The HJT Support Team are very proficient with these sorts of things.

With that said,
I recommend that you read this article… "IMPORTANT - 5 Step Process: Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help"; follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the HiJackThis Log Help Forum.
(Simply, click on the coloured links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the HiJackThis Log Help Forum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The 5 Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to The HJT Help Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

After your system has been verified as clean, if your are still experiencing those problems come back here and we will assist you further.
I assumed that it was malware. I can't run HijackThis, though. SpywareBlaster won't work, either. They both give me an error. I don't think I can run Panda ActiveScan, either. I can't install Active X plug-ins, either. I'm boned, am I? I really don't want to reinstall the OS again... :sigh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there some sort of malware removal program that I can run off of a USB flash drive? Can I run HijackThis off of a USB flash drive? This may help me a bit...

·
7,738 Posts
amateur said:
This does sound like the new variant of zlob which has been reeking havoc lately. He can download DSS (Deckard's System Scanner) Onto a flash drive and try running it from there, or if he can navigate via Windows Explorer, he could drag and drop it on the desktop and run it from there, and post the resultant main.txt in the HijackThis forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't run DSS or HijackThis on my flash drive, either! :upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset::upset:

I'm running out of options, and I have the sledgehammer ready.

·
7,738 Posts
While your computer is booting tap F8 key while your computer boots. It should give you a menu on a black screen with white text.

There should be multiple options for safe mode (regular, with networking, or with command prompt), last known good configuration, or start windows normally.

Choose safe mode and then try running your security programs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While your computer is booting tap F8 key while your computer boots. It should give you a menu on a black screen with white text.

There should be multiple options for safe mode (regular, with networking, or with command prompt), last known good configuration, or start windows normally.

Choose safe mode and then try running your security programs.
I did that, it worked, and I got the logs I needed. I'll post 'em in the appropriate forum ASAP. :pray:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.