Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, when i go to play a game, a game like Counterstrike source, or even a game as low as Shadowbane, i can play for about 10 minutes to an hour, then my computer clicks, then freezes, itll just freezes!! and i cant get out unless i hit the restart button, hell, and i fix computers, but this problem i cannot fix. i know its nothing in my computer cause i just added a brand new X-FI XtremeMusic sound card, which works beautifully, and theres nothing wrong with my ATI X1600PRO Video card, i use the latest drivers, and i get usually around 80-100 FPS on those games, what im really worried about, is if it freezes about 10 times constantly, my windows xp goes corrupt and i have to reformat every 10 or so times it does that, this is the 2nd reformat i did, and im seriously about to take a sledge to it, i have 1280 ultra ram, (a 1 gig stick and 256), it does this on games only.

Im using my sisters 40gb harddrive, not sure if this is the problem, i really do not know if it is SATA IDE or anything, (im only knowledgable on building computers, i still have to learn about harddrives), I have seen many posts on this, and i have tried reformmatting, cleaning up any viruses with norton antivirus 2006, i tried everything, spyware doctor, adaware pro, its not a software problem im sure, it must be a hardware problem and i am really going insane...

i also have a 600w Lead-Power power supply

and the temps when i am off are 45 and when playing 50-60

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I would have to say your PSU is a tanker.

try removing the side cover off your computer, blow a house fan into the box on high speed if this helps extend your game time, then chances are you have an ailing PSU

please give the full system specs for your machine and we can make your some reccomendations for a high quality replacement

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

I agree with linderman that the power supply is suspect. Might also run SensorViewPro under my signature and test the temperatures for both at-rest and while under-stress (or playing a game) so we can compare temps to what you are already reporting. Also list the voltages on this one when you run that program. It might also be a good idea to run Everest under my signature to give more specific specs on your computer.

Post back with questions/concerns.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi,

I agree with linderman that the power supply is suspect. Might also run SensorViewPro under my signature and test the temperatures for both at-rest and while under-stress (or playing a game) so we can compare temps to what you are already reporting. Also list the voltages on this one when you run that program. It might also be a good idea to run Everest under my signature to give more specific specs on your computer.

Ok ill tell ya everything, let me run sensor n ill look for volts on power supply

**EDIT** ok it says
Power supply:
115/250 volts CURRENT: 12A/6A, FREQUENCY: 60/50hz
VDC +3.3 +5 +12 -12 -5 +5SB BLK GRN GRY
MAX DC output 32a, 50a, 24a, 1.0a, 0.5a, 2.0a , com, p-on, pg

Sensorview:

voltages:
VCoreA: 1.65V
VCoreB: 2.50V
+3.3V: 3.33V
+5V: 4.89V ( WITH COUNTERSTRIKE OPEN AND CLOSED ) , it was both same
+12V:
13.00V
+5VSB: 6.85V
+VBAT: 2.03V

Fans:
CPU FAN: 5114 RPM
Sys FAN: 0 RPM
AUX FAN: 0 RPM

Memory usage 42% ( i have 5 internet exploreres open and steam )

Temperatures: CPU 0-C / 32-F
SYS 35-C/ 95-F
AUX 4-C 112-F

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi again,

Sensorview did not see some of your readings and one of the most important (the CPU). I hate to do this to you, but run Speedfan and see if we can get that comparision for the temps. There is some discrepency in the voltage readings also, so speedfan will also list that (if my poor memory serves me well this late). Some programs will not get all the readings off some computers and SensorViewPro did not get them all.

All voltages, should be +/- 5% for your computer to run properly. Over or under that amount can cause serious problems. That is why I am asking for a double check.

An example is that both of these readings are WAY out of specs:

+12V:13.00V (should be no more than 12.6)
+5VSB: 6.85V (should be no more than 5.25)

After doing a Google about your power supply, I can tell you that your power supply is very poorly rated. You need to know that any power supply of 600 watts that you can buy for less than about $100 is not worth much in quality power. That again points to the issue that linderman brought up earlier and I told you that I agreed with the initial assessment....a weak power supply that has the specs, but not the efficiency or actual amperage they advertise.

Anyhow, let's play this through with the additional program and see where this goes.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again,

Sensorview did not see some of your readings and one of the most important (the CPU). I hate to do this to you, but run Speedfan and see if we can get that comparision for the temps. There is some discrepency in the voltage readings also, so speedfan will also list that (if my poor memory serves me well this late). Some programs will not get all the readings off some computers and SensorViewPro did not get them all.

All voltages, should be +/- 5% for your computer to run properly. Over or under that amount can cause serious problems. That is why I am asking for a double check.

An example is that both of these readings are WAY out of specs:

+12V:13.00V (should be no more than 12.6)
+5VSB: 6.85V (should be no more than 5.25)

After doing a Google about your power supply, I can tell you that your power supply is very poorly rated. You need to know that any power supply of 600 watts that you can buy for less than about $100 is not worth much in quality power. That again points to the issue that linderman brought up earlier and I told you that I agreed with the initial assessment....a weak power supply that has the specs, but not the efficiency or actual amperage they advertise.

Anyhow, let's play this through with the additional program and see where this goes.

I would think this would be alot easier through some sort of instant messaging program instead of waiting at my email all teary eyed waiting for an answer back lmao.

if u have anything can u please pm me, ill install whatever it is that you have

im going to run speedfan aswell

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fan1: 5273 RPM
Fan 2: 0 RPM
Fan 3: 0 RPM

temp1: 36C
Temp2: 45C
Temp3: -55C
and theres another temp1 that says 40c

Vcore1: 1.65v -12V: -11.87v
Vcore2 2.50v -5V: 3.59V
+3.3V: 3.33v +5V: 6.85V
+5V: 4.92v Vbat: 3.06v
+12V: 12.99v

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked VIA VT8235 SMBUS at $5000
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
check 1
IT8712F/IT8705F found on ISA at $290
SuperIO Chip=IT8705F
Scanning VIA SMBus at $5000...
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found WDC WD400EB-11CPF0 (40.0GB)
Found ACPI temperature (40.0C)
End of detection

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
so its all coming down to my power supply isnt it?

well the only way i can get a powersupply is if one of you donate one, or i wait till christmas and have to reformat 6 times through the month.

i was just playing a minute ago, i played for an hour, i was SUPRISED!

i forgot to mention theres a loud screeeeeeeech noise, coming from my headphones _DAMN_ its loud,

and when it restarted, it came up with a CHKDSK for the first time, and it orphaned lots of files and removed some aswell, i was like *** is this. thats how i got to play for an hour, not sure whats going on though. harddrive or power supply? thats what im confused on.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Power Supply – Lead Power 600W
Motherboard – ECS 266
CPU – AMD Athlon 2300+ 2.0 GHz
RAM – PC3200 DDR ultra ram, 1024, 256
Video Card(s) – Sapphire ATI X1600PRO AGP 8X
Hard Drive(s) – 40GB Dunno.
Operating System: XP Pro

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
HI,

Did linderman's idea about putting a fan blowing in there help any, because if those are idle temps, the second one is still high althought not horribly high IMHO?

If you would either run Everest in my signature to see what drive that is or even pull the side of the case and look at the brand name of the drive, then we would run a diagnostic of that drive and see if you get any errors. You can find all the drive diagnostics HERE

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HI,

Did linderman's idea about putting a fan blowing in there help any, because if those are idle temps, the second one is still too high IMHO?

If you would either run Everest in my signature to see what drive that is or even pull the side of the case and look at the brand name of the drive, then we would run a diagnostic of that drive and see if you get any errors. You can find all the drive diagnostics HERE

hi tumble good morning ya ill do some of that today, i just ran HDD Regenerator ( i copied it to a disk and ran it bootable ) and it came up with 2 bad sectors, not sure if that mattered any, but they were fixed.

also im going to dl everest right now i have the full version ill put whatever specs u need

I dont have a fan at the moment but ill ask my mom.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
hi tumble good morning ya ill do some of that today, i just ran HDD Regenerator ( i copied it to a disk and ran it bootable ) and it came up with 2 bad sectors, not sure if that mattered any, but they were fixed.

also im going to dl everest right now i have the full version ill put whatever specs u need

I dont have a fan at the moment but ill ask my mom.
Oh what do you know, my computer gets the blue screen of death and i have to reformat, it says

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME .....

any help would be appreciated, this is the 3rd time.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh what do you know, my computer gets the blue screen of death and i have to reformat, it says

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME .....

any help would be appreciated, this is the 3rd time.

*EDIT*

I put in my windows xp cd and i went to the recovery console and ran CHKDSK and fixboot, it seemed to fix the blue screen.. i have all my stuff back......

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
*EDIT*

I put in my windows xp cd and i went to the recovery console and ran CHKDSK and fixboot, it seemed to fix the blue screen.. i have all my stuff back......
i put a portable fan blower with 3 speeds to blow inside the computer, bad or good? it dropped 10 degrees.

Lol.

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

If you don't have a good fan setup, the problem is most likely heat then. Just make sure you have a nice fan in back pulling out hot air, and a fan in front of the case pulling in cool air. That can make a difference. When you say, a portable fan blower inside the case, do you mean a standard 3 speed case fan? Not sure I understood what you are saying.

Next issue, even though you ran the drive program you did, there is no better utility for your drive than the one made by the manufacturer. Therefore, I would download that and run it against your drive to kind of future proof you against trouble. Some of those (not saying yours does) aftermarket drive programs do not catch everything on every manufacturer's drives because they are a "generic" fixing tool. The ones that make them know them best.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

If you don't have a good fan setup, the problem is most likely heat then. Just make sure you have a nice fan in back pulling out hot air, and a fan in front of the case pulling in cool air. That can make a difference. When you say, a portable fan blower inside the case, do you mean a standard 3 speed case fan? Not sure I understood what you are saying.

Next issue, even though you ran the drive program you did, there is no better utility for your drive than the one made by the manufacturer. Therefore, I would download that and run it against your drive to kind of future proof you against trouble. Some of those (not saying yours does) aftermarket drive programs do not catch everything on every manufacturer's drives because they are a "generic" fixing tool. The ones that make them know them best.
the fan is like a high powered stand on your desk kind of fan that blows directly into the computer from a distance

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

OK, I understand. You should be able to do the same thing with simple case fans. I would suggest a couple of 120mm fans, they work so well. With it lowering the temp ten degrees, that tells us you need to do something inside that case for cooling. Anyhow, you have to decide what you want to do. BTW, what fans do you have in the case and where are they located and which direction are they blowing?? Also, heatsink fan blowing down, or pulling air up?

I need to run, have a great day and post back with information.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hi,

OK, I understand. You should be able to do the same thing with simple case fans. I would suggest a couple of 120mm fans, they work so well. With it lowering the temp ten degrees, that tells us you need to do something inside that case for cooling. Anyhow, you have to decide what you want to do. BTW, what fans do you have in the case and where are they located and which direction are they blowing?? Also, heatsink fan blowing down, or pulling air up?

I need to run, have a great day and post back with information.
the heatsink fan is pulling air up it looks like, the only fan is the one i have on my mobo, and my power supply fan that sucks in and blows down to the bottom, then i have that big fan blowing all the heat out
:4-thatsba

:4-dontkno anyways ill see if it still freezes.

and about the 120mm fans, i seriously doubt none will fit in my case, its kinda small...... its an emachines T2341 *CASE*, i took my sisters mobo and case and i put the rest of the stuff into it, i swapped cases and mobo cause my last case you couldnt screw in a sound card or anything. this ones a little better looking i guess. im going to have to get a custom gaming case for christmas prob a xeon with green lights n like 4 120mm fans haha :pray:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.