Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive recently installed a new SCSI HD in my PC and installed XP on it but now have a rather odd problem

My 2 CDROM drives dont work properly? Sometimes I cant access the discs in them at all, other times it says "not a valid win32 application" when I have something like Office XP in there, and other times just gives 'I/O error" when Im copying a file from CD to the HD?!!!!

Any ideas? The CDROM drives work fine when I put my old HD back in with XP on?!!!!

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like there are drivers on your old HDD that aren't on your new one. Go to the CD-ROM manufacturers site and download the latest drivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

Ive managed to get it sorted now - it seems the CD/DVD-ROM drives didnt like being secondary IDE devices when there was no primary device attached (old HD attached, but powered off)

The drives are now primary devices and working fine! Very strange symptoms I was getting before though- having the drives work partially etc!

cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok it seems the problem is NOT fixed! - the CD/DVD-ROM drives just happened to work OK after being plugged in as primary IDE devices, but now its back to how it was before!! :4-dontkno

When I try and access a disc I get the error message:

"The request could not be performed because of an I/O error" ?!!!

Any ideas anyone? Im at a loss here!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.