Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I think I've just done a booboo. I'm upgrading my friends com from win95 to win98. It's been so long since I did any messing about so I went into the dos prompt and formatted the c: drive. Then I tried to fdisk it and I couldn't. Now I'm trying to boot with boot up disks to get a command prompt line and I just keep getting invalid disk, replace and strike a key - help!

mARK

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
you have it backwards...you have to fdisk then format....so now rerun fdisk and create a dos partition...then format ....then reinstall 98

·
Registered
852 Posts
Or......... If the win98 cd is a full version and not an upgrade just fdisk and point the bios to boot to cd. The rest will be handled automatically.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok it is set to boot to the floppy first but it still says invalid disk. If I set it to boot to d: drive first with the win95 or win98 II se it says Boot from ATAPI CD ROM: Failure and then it goes to disk and says invalid disk again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok booted with floppy. Went to fdisk but it is already partitioned and active so it tells me to escape. How to I get it to boot from the cd now as I can't find any suitable executable files like win or win95.

S

·
0 Posts
Once again.

If the version of Win.98 that you have is a full version you can do a complete install from the CD.

But if it is an upgrade you will need an earlier version of Windows to show it when asked for a compliance check, Such as Win95 or 3.1 you get the idea.

OK here is what you need to do.

First go here <http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html> and download the Win98 boot disk.

Win98 is FAT32 and Win95 is fat16 so you need to do the following.

Boot to this new boot disk.

Select boot with no CD Rom support.

At the A prompt type fdisk, When the prompt comes up about large disk support select yes.

Then select option 3 Enter

Select option 1 Enter

Select Yes

Type in the Volume Label if there is one and hit enter.

Are you sure Yes.

Esc.

Select 1

Select Yes

Esc

Reboot

Now you need to Format.

Boot to the floppy without CD-Rom support.

At the A prompt type format c:/s

Select yes

When it's finished you can enter a volume label such as hard drive or you can leave it blank.

Now boot to the floppy one more time, This time select boot with CD-Rom support

At the A prompt select E:\ enter.

This is assuming you have one hard drive and one CD-Rom. The E could be an F or some other letter depending on the amount of IDE devices you have.

With the Win98 CD in the drive type setup, Enter this should start loading the Operating System.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx Speedo

Just before you posted I found out that it loads system tools to the D: drive and reallocates your cd drive to e:! You learn something new everyday. OK got it sorted now. Cheers everyone I was having a blonde moment!!

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.