Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having big trouble with my PC, HP running Windows XP. My drivers for the CD roms keep disappearing. Today I reset all the drivers to factory standard and then rebooted. Then as it boots I get a message that say something like:
"When trying to update a password, this return indicts that the value as the current password is not current" Then it goes away and reboots over and over.
Now this WinXp came with my HP but I can't find any Windows or HP disc it came with, if it did. ALso with out the CD drivers working it doesn't matter if I did have them.
What can I do? Can I get a restore on a 3.5? Please reply! I will check this next time I can get on to someone's computer
thanks
Darin
 

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
If the hp is under warranty, they will send you the complete set of restore disks quickly. Just call them and explain that you did not burn the restore disks off of the hidden partition and that your hard drive crashed.

The cdroms will (should) boot with the restore disk that they send to you. They usually send 8 cd's. The XP number is reserved for HP XP installs and a regular xp disk will not accept the product key. The drivers also will not load from a xp disc, and are not available for download from hp.

Just call Hp. If the warranty is up, they only charge $24.00 for the set after they verify your serial number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, however my CD Drives are NOT working, that is what started all this. Nothing is reading, even with a boot disc (CD).
Do you know if they would have them at 3.5? if not, I'm a dead?
Is there anyway to get right to DOS on XP or to run a recovery with out loading Windows. I can't even get in with Safety Mode
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Have you been to HP's website to see if they have any updates for your machine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I've had a bit of a run in with boxes by HP and Compaq, they like to stay in their factory setup, if you've added any hardware or moved cables about, put it back the way it was and see if that works. I spent a good three days figuring out that things have to be "just right" for the vendor OS to install and run properly. By the way, what was the last thing you changed on this computer (installed, deleted, ect) before it started doing this?

Remeber 90% of computer problems are user error, the other 10% are technican error.
 

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
If you watch the hp logo screen, you can hit a key that brings you to a boot menu.

It is f8 or ctrl key that bring up the menu. put a bootable cd in the drive and select boot from cd.

You can download the program to make xp bootable floppys to install, but you still need the original hp discs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q310994
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Provided HP's BIOS agrees with his hardware configuration
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top