Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have P4C800-E mb and 2 120GB SATA maxtor HD. I have been trying to use the intel RAID for Serial ATA. I connected my sata cables SATA1 and SATA2. I went in bio and under IDE configuration I set the following:

Onboard IDE Operation Mode = [Enhanced Mode]
Enhanced Mode Support On = [S-ATA]
Configure S-ATA as RAID = [Yes]
Serial ATA BOOTROM = [Enabled]

I then went and setup RAID 0 volume which succeeded

When I reboot the bio doesn't see my hard drives at all so I can't install operating system. \

If I set Configure S-ATA as RAID = [No] I can see both my harddrive

what gives here???? :confused:

Also I download P4C800-E Deluxe BIOS v1010 and flashed it. When I go into bios it still shows as Version 8.00.09 . I am have the toughest time setting up this motherboard for past 5 days. Can someone please clue me into what I am doing wrong?

Thank you very much

Nick

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forums nnnnnpatel.............:D

Do you have both of these drives jumpers set as masters.

Sounds like the bios wasn't flashed right. I have seen more people flashing their bios lately as if it were a cure all.

Did you go to the Asus site and read all of the instructions carefully? Some of these boards won't flash using the EZ Flash or that other Gizmo they are using. I forgot the name of it and I'm not going to go looking for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have both drives as master. The flashing utility was called AFUDOS and I did save the orginal before flashing. When I tried to do the native PROMISE Raid, I still couldn't find the drives. Should I reset the CMOS?

clueless
Nick

S

·
0 Posts
I would clear the CMOS and then try this that I found on the Asus website.

Problem

I followed the instruction in manual to seutp Intel RAID for serial ATA configuration but the BIOS still cannot detect my SATA HDDs during POST. How to make it work?

Answer

After setting "Configure S-ATA as RAID" to Yes, an additional option called "Serial-ATA BOOTROM" will pop up and its default value is disabled. Please enable "Serial-ATA BOOTROM" and you will be able to get into Intel RAID BIOS setup menu with Ctrl+I during POST.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found same message also. I did already configure the BOOTROM part right, but I didn't reset my CMOS. Let me try that and see if it works. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know if it worked (or NOT with my bad luck )

Nick

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
i still dont see why people flash the bios to begin with...

i havent ever needed to flash one, and i refuse to after seeing the havoc it causes.

~BoB~

·
Registered
1 Posts
what the *&$%

I am having the exact same problem
I'm running a p4c800-e deluxe with IDENTICAL SATA 80 gigs

And I keep getting a problem while installing win2K "no ide drives detected"

I am confused since I'm trying to run Raid 1. 1st of all under the Raid setup I can only set up mirroring if the sata cables are plugged in directly (side by side)

Why are they labelled SATA_RAID1 SATA_RAID2 (right beside each other)

If I were to plug both cables in SATA_RAID1 then I can't configure mirroring, even though my mirror will be 1 raid set?? so as of now I have one cable in SATA_RAID1 and SATA_RAID2 when I hit CNTRL F the mirroring seems ok.

How can i get win2k to install?? I have installed the raid drivers to floppy and everthing looks OK up untill the last selection "install windows 2000"

ALso when I fdisk it It runs so slow and I only see 10gigs

Can anyone assist me please.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem, but solved it by disabeling "Configure S-ATA as RAID" and the option below. These settings are for the regular SATA controller, not for the SATA RAID controller. You have to press CTRL-F (during boot) to setup SATA drives connected to the RAID controller. The regular SATA RAID function is enabled with the options above, and by pressing CTRL-i during boot...
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Martin Sandaas

·
Registered
19 Posts
windows 2000 and SATA RAid 0 on p4p

is windows 2000 raid setup any different than xp pro setup on p4p800 board and SATA drives? any changes in bios raid settings?

·
Registered
11 Posts
When installing XP or Win2k onto SATA drives you need to treat the situation as if you were installing onto SCSI drives.....what I mean is during the initial install of the OS you need to hit F6 when prompted so you can put the floppy drive in with the SATA drivers on it (may need to download them and put them onto floppy manually) then the install cd will see your drives.

You should also take a look at clintfan's article on setting up a system that uses the intel sata raid controller like on teh p4c800e and p4p800.

http://www.techsupportforums.com/showthread.php?=9888&highlight=clintfan

·
Registered
19 Posts
i did exactly that and followed his procedure. i have win2k in raid zero now, but for some reason i dont really see any improvements in speed. literally none. :cry:

·
Registered
2 Posts
02icarus said:
i did exactly that and followed his procedure. i have win2k in raid zero now, but for some reason i dont really see any improvements in speed. literally none. :cry:
For all of you posting in this thread. I just had the same problems you all did. I finially got it working. You need to download the drivers for the raid at asus. Then when you load your operating system, you have a chance to hit F6 to add drivers, now when you are doing that, after the system begins to load the OS, it will kick into the floppy again, before it starts to load the os, and the drivers will then add themselves. This is how you will know that you loaded it rigjht. I had thought I did it right too, and noticed no speed gain, until I did it right. Another thing, the floppy's need to be formated before you add the files to them... that was another thing that stopped it from loading. I hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.