Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently connect back my stand alone pc to local lan, i can can ping to server but cant open shared file from server by enter \\computername in 'run' and pop up an error message as below
(The network location cannot be Reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.)
im very sure i set a correct static ip, workgroup for my pc, any expert kindly advice, thanks.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Are you sure file sharing is enabled on both machines?

Do you have a logon name and password set up on the remote machine?

Is the remote machine configured to wake on network activity?

Is the network a workgroup, or is it a domain?

·
TSF Enthusiast
473 Posts
no actually \\computername would be right.. or \\ipaddress. If the first doesn't work but the second does, then it's a DNS issue, If neither work, make sure you have an account setup on the "server" if it is a Workgroup, and if it is a domain, then you may need to drop the pc (the one you are using) off the domain and back on it. Also if it is a Workgroup, you need to not only make sure the remote PC has your account setup on it but that the Share is available to that account.

·
TSF Enthusiast
473 Posts
or You could Also try typing in \\computername\Share name

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
\\computername\Sharename and \\192.168.1.x also come out with a same error, im using workgroup not domain, the server shared file (with permission: everyone) is available for other client pc except this pc
ever like view workgroup computer or find network printer, it not exists in my workgroup

·
Registered
41,122 Posts
Can you browse for the computer in Control Panel/My Network Places/View Workgroup computers?
Make sure all the computers have a User Name and Password and the Workgroup Name is the same (if it is just Workgroup with no name, create a network name) Also make sure Simple File Sharing is on, and that there is at least one folder that is shared on the computer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spunk.funk :
i browse for the computer in Control Panel/My Network Places/View Workgroup computers
it shows blank page without any pc

·
Registered
41,122 Posts
Can you the server access the computer? Does that Server have internet access, user name, password, same work group etc? Can the server ping the computer? Does the server see the computer in Network Places, Can you access the computer from the servers Run box? Etc. if not you have a serious problem with the network connection on that computer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.