Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a core i7 quad sli fire breathing dragon. Whilst I would like it all at once, money is an issue and would like any suggestions on a good base to start with that as my money comes in I can buy extra bits. I know the term "future proof" is non existent in computers, but as close to would be great.

I am looking to start out with a core i7, a good motherboard, with 4GB of ram and one graphics card a good psu and WD Raptor HDD for the speed. But as I have said, once my money increases I would like to increase the ram, add an extra HDD and buy extra graphics cards until eventually I have a quad sli gaming pc with 16gb of DDR3 ram.

I have only ever used Intel processors, Nvidia graphics and Gigabyte boards in the past and have found them stable and very reliable. Although if an equivalent set-up can be achieved using AMD xfire etc, cheaper then I am open :4-dontkno but would still prefer the solid makes I am used to.

Any suggested builds on this topic would be appreciated! Thanks in advance:pray:

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
i7 is based on a Server Platform. Have you considered an i5 build. Much better choice with more bang for the buck..
4GB of RAM will be all you'll need.
One high quality GPU is also sufficient. The slight performance increase using 2 GPU's is minimal compared the the substantial increase in price.
A 32MB Cache Hdd will perform as well as a Raptor and you save money.
Do you have a budget?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I see, guess I will need to research a I5 build further, as for the ram, I would just like to increase in the future, should I need to, so a board supporting this would just be a bonus I guess. As the rig i have at the moment is maxed at just 2GB. As for the raptor HDD I didn't think of the 32MB cache side of things so thanks for opening my eyes to all this. I am looking to spend around £500-£600 at this point, but with the option to upgrade and increase performance as my money allows me too, thanks!

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
All ATX Mobo's have at least 4 RAM slots so adding RAM in the future won't be a problem.
Filling all the RAM slots on a Mobo has it's own issues but by the time anything over 4GB is required the 4GB sticks may be a cost effective alternative.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.