Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help and Support Center page needs help. The HSC page snapped open when Windows was reinstalled. After updating and installing the needed .NET Framwork 1 and 2 plus the .NET SP the HSC page slowed down a lot. Sometimes the page will not open at all. Is there a way to make HSC open up fast like it did after reinstall? The OS is WXP HE SP2:4-dontkno

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Hi rlmarr

Here's a page over a Kelley's Korner with half-a-dozen tricks for trying to get Help and Support happy again --- note that you'll have to scroll down quite a ways to get to the "Help and Support" category --- http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

I think a decent quick-fix try might be to reinstall the .inf file for the Help and Support service - you might or might not need your Windows XP CD (because if you still have your XP SP2 .cabs on your hard drive - which you likely do, if you didn't manually delete them - the files needed will be right there) ---
Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right click and choose install.

If your system has a modest amount of system memory (RAM) installed, look in Task Manager (in the "Performance" tab) to see if the amount of physical memory installed isn't enough to cover what is needed by your background processes + your running applications -- this would cause your computer to have to use the page file extensively, and slow things down dramatically from time to time.

Best of luck
. . . Gary

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dell Forum sent me this... http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm

Where was he at 2 daze ago. I sure could have used this information then. Early this morning I just used my Win CD and reinstalled. The Help and Support page now snaps into position. Actually my wife’s computer is doing the same thing. So I am going to use this suggestion on it. It is an HP. I had to reinstall the Anti Virus program again but it was worth it.. I’ll let you know if it helps the HP. So far everything is running much faster which I didn’t know could happen. What I mean I didn’t know this near lightening speed happened. Runs better now than the day I got it. Hope I don’t jinx myself and something starts acting up. Thank you everyone for the help.:normal:

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IE7 Halts Help and Support Center page

:upset: After downloading and installing IE 7 the Help and Support Center page began acting up again with stalls and unresponsiveness. So I uninstalled IE7 and all is well again. Another user warned me the IE7 was the culprit and they were so very right. I am taking IE7 off of all my friends and families computers. This is so unfortunate. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Sounds extremely odd as the final version of IE7 is pretty stable. What build was it and where was it downloaded from?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Strange indeed..not a problem I have come across before. It may be a confliction between IE7 and other software which is already present on those 3 machines??

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a way to find out what is causing the problem since IE7 was installed after a completely clean install of Windows before Any software was added?

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
Just a case of pain-staking trial and error i'm afriad. Very time consuming but will make you happy when/if you do solve it ;)

Also, System Restore is a good little program to use in those situations.

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The whole system was completely clean..Everything was fresh. Why did IE7 cause the Help and Support Center page to be Un responsive?:4-dontkno

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
I'm aware that IE7 has caused a number of problems but the final release is greatly improved. Hasn't caused me or anyone I know any problems.....though I thought the betas were terrible.

Some programs work well for one person may not for another, but that doesn't mean it's at fault as it could well be a confliction with a non-MS program or even hardware related. Plus there's many other factors to consider such as spyware, registry cleaners, other Windows Updates etc so it's hard to pinpoint the cause in all cases.

For all the people who are having problems with IE7, there's many more who aren't so I do think it's the minority that are suffering

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
See above :)

I can only speak from personal experience and I haven't had any issues at all with the latest build of IE7. I do lots of private work on friends, families and others PC's and haven't seen any relevant issues either so again, it's hard to pin point the problems.

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
The IE7 was the latest and “greatest.” If it is so wonderful why all the chaos with so many folks? You need to read the MS forum. Why not head over there and take a look.
Thanks for the suggestion but I already post on the newsgroups.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.