Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have this gateway with a western digital 20gb 5400rpm ultra ata/66 hard drive that is almost full, what can i replace this with?i would like to go to atleast a 80 or 120 gb.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
chances are unless this is a laptop computer you are speaking of ?

what Operating system are you running

Example Win 98 has a 32gig capacity limit unless you partition the drive with a Min ME boot disk (which is an option) that will extend you to 64gig

Win XP can go as high as your bios will allow providing you have Service Pack one or higher

please give us the following info:

A) approx what year was the computer bought or made

B) Desktop or laptop

C) what OS are you running

another possibility is to install a PCI slot IDE controller card (about $35.00 for a high grade Promise brand) these cards have their own bios and would allow unrestricted size in the Windows 2000 OS or newer ????

but you should be able to use any ATA / IDE drive 7200 rpm ATA 100 8meg cache / 16mb cache is better
as long as you are not running win 98 ?????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
help

hi its a gatewar desktop select 700 sb, bought in 2000, running windows 98se.it has a western digital 20-gb 5400-rpm ultra ata/66 hard disk drive.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
if you want partitions larger than 32gig or want to run a drive larger than 120 gig you will need to use a PCI slot controller card

otherwise you could play it safe and get a 60gig drive (you may even squeak an 80 before the bios baulks) and use Super Fdisk to partition it and format it

here is the drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144164

here is where you get Super Fdisk to partition and format the drive

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Super_Fdisk_d4985.html

if you get this drive you should make three partitions so Win 98 doesnt wig out, none of the partitions should be made bigger than 32gigs

enjoy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.