Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
sorry for sounding like an idiot but i really need some help i have built my own computer got everything put together used the seagate cd to install my hard drives then i started windows installation and when it gets to the screen to choose a partition there is none there just says there is no disk in drive i have been using this acronis boot cd and hiren's boot cd trying to figure it out but i am just learning the whole software thing and i just cant get it to work btw on all the programs my host controller is shown as a unknown device and i have tried raid (raid 10) and non raid installation

technical info

hdd's: (4) seagate 400gb sata/300 sata connection
power supply: coolmax 1kw
mobo: intel d975xbx
ram: 2gb

no adapters used anywhere

only thing i can figure is a driver issue i hope thats all it is but i dont know maybe someone can help? thanks in advance my email is

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You need to configure the RAID array before installing. If you have it non-RAID now, go back and configure the array. Then reboot to the Windows XP Pro CD. At the beginning of the installation you will see across the bottom a note that reads "press F6 to install third-party SCSI or RAID drivers". When you see that tap the F6 key a few times. Don't expect anything to happen at this point as a result of hitting this key. At the proper time Windows installation will ask you for the RAID drivers. Do you have a floppy drive? If so, have the RAID drivers on a floppy, and insert it when Windows installation asks for it. Without the RAID drivers the installation will not see the array, so it will come up with no disk. If you don't have a floppy, you'll need to post back and get other instructions for installing the RAID drivers.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Hello:

to expound on the info provided by Panama Gal (bullseye info A+)

if you are trying to install your OS on a raid configuration then you must load the raid controller drivers when you first boot into the OS install CD >>>>> where it says "Press F6 to install third party SCSI or Raid Controllers"

these drivers can be obtained by looking on your mobo CD, read the mobo manual, or download from mobo website

Most common raid driver installs require the use of a Makedisk.exe

if you are not trying to install the OS on a raid config but are trying to install the OS on a sata drive >>>> you will need to install the drivers for the sata controller its the same F6 thing

I have found an easier way to install the OS on a sata drive is to set the bios to treat the sata controller as IDE mode such a setting is commonly found in the bios "advanced" area

once the OS is installed and you install your motherboard drivers >>>> then reboot / enter the bios/ change from IDE mode to sata enabled mode

dont hesitate to ask questions

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info people when i first did this i followed the instructions and went into bios and set that bios "advanced" option to raid per instructions (although now i may follow your advice and try to set it to ide and see what happens) then i set up my array to raid 10 (0+1) but before i did all this i used the discwizard to set up each hard drive then i started to install windows i had to press F6 til i heard it beep i put my floppy in that came with the mobo to install raid drivers then windows says it already has drivers for that and asks if i want to install the ones from the floppy or the ones from windows i have tried both i do not have a floppy drive on this computer so i have just been burning bootable cd's with ultra iso i think what i need to do is find the newest drivers and make me a bootable driver cd i have 2gb of ram so i should be ok there since then i have just been backtracking and trying different options trying to make it work because right now it is just a fancy $2,000.00 paperweight that can run dos

btw i do apologize for my lack of grammar and punctuation skills i never was good at that there seems to be alot of technical info on this forum and i plan on learning everything i can thanks

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Mikey:

I personally cant help you much with raid (its been sooooo long since I have set one up; the details are very fuzzy at best) >>> :mad: >>> but other TSF staff will jump in and assist you in that issue. I have however found no progress in using bootable CD's for installing the drivers at the F6 prompt

the OS really is dedicated to finding a floppy drive to install the drivers from, I strongly suggest you get or borrow a floppy drive to make that step proceed

you dont have to permanently mount the floppy you only have to have it connected to the floppy drive port on the motherboard

keep us posted on your progress

·
Registered
25,116 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello:

to expound on the info provided by Panama Gal (bullseye info A+)

if you are trying to install your OS on a raid configuration then you must load the raid controller drivers when you first boot into the OS install CD >>>>> where it says "Press F6 to install third party SCSI or Raid Controllers"

these drivers can be obtained by looking on your mobo CD, read the mobo manual, or download from mobo website

Most common raid driver installs require the use of a Makedisk.exe

if you are not trying to install the OS on a raid config but are trying to install the OS on a sata drive >>>> you will need to install the drivers for the sata controller its the same F6 thing

I have found an easier way to install the OS on a sata drive is to set the bios to treat the sata controller as IDE mode such a setting is commonly found in the bios "advanced" area

once the OS is installed and you install your motherboard drivers >>>> then reboot / enter the bios/ change from IDE mode to sata enabled mode

dont hesitate to ask questions
changed it to ide and it picked everything right up and started installing thanks man now the only thing wrong is windows is missing a file on the cd in the i386 folder called adc....java....in_ or something like that but i think it might continue without it i should have gotten the full file name so i can google it and add it into the folder and burn again but i didnt think about that at the time but anyway ill see what happens thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok after that incident with the missing file installation froze so i had to reboot the hard way and it finished installing fine now i am supposed to install a cd that came with the mobo the "intel express installer driver cd" but it wont show up on my new system the drive wont read it but it reads other cd's fine so i thought the cd got damaged so i put it in my current computer and it immediately autoplays that i cant figure out yet but i will try again tommorrow ive had enough excitement for one night and 4 am comes early so in parting besides all my other questions i will ask possibly the simplest one yet (my brain is fried and needs to recuperate)

How can i update all of my drivers at once using windows or did it automatically install the most up to date drivers and i would have to update over the internet?

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
you will need to enter the device manager and see what drivers windoze did not install; the components needing drivers will have a yellow exclamanation mark next to them. The drivers which are motherboard related can be downloaded into your hard drive folder from the motherboard makers website if you battle with the mobo CD too much????

other system drivers not controlled by the motherboard can be found either at Windows Update or The device Makers website

to get into the device manager

go to start/slide over one column to the right and right click on "MY Computer" and select "properties" from the menu / click on "Hardware" / Click on "Device Manager"

report how many yellow exclamation marks you have and what devices have them ?????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok made alot of progress today but still have alot to do i got the cd to install everything except the "intel matrix storage" deal for my raid setup it says incompatible hardware my bios setting is still set to ide instead of raid because if i set it to raid it will not boot up i also did a bios update i opened "device manager" and i have one yellow question mark that says

[ ? ] other devices
[ ? ] unknown device

also the "intel desktop control center" which the intel site has listed as compatible with my set-up wont install due to compatibility issues and my drives are still set to 137gb and 0 and 1 are listed as C:// and D:// respectively and drives 2 and 3 are listed as unallocated memory and somehow another partition got thrown in listed as B:// on drive 0 where C:// is and it is listed as unknown other than that everything seems to be peachy i am actually proud of myself for once in my life

btw: MERRY CHRISTMAS (or your specific celebrated holiday) TO ALL. AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
One thing you have realize when setting up RAID on your board is that some of the ports on the board, two I believe, are Intel Matrix Storage ports, and the others, I believe four, are Marvell. So, depending on what SATA ports you have things plugged into, you'll need two different RAID drivers.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Ok the first question and thing that comes to mind is,

While looking through your posts and that of others I notice you had trouble even setting up in non-raid mode. While looking through your boards manual I noticed there was a section that stated that some boards were manufactured with an additional 4 silicon image SATA ports. Is this the case with your motherboard ? Do you have 8 SATA ports, 4 for intel and 4 for the Silicon image and if so can you verify which controller you have your SATA drives plugged into.
I have a sneaky suspision that you may have them plugged into the silicon image controller due to the fact that, 1 you couldn't get the SATA drives recognised in non raid mode as the intel ICH7 controller does not need drivers for non raid application but only if you are going to use raid then you need the correct raid driver.
2. there is a non RAID and a Raid driver when using the silicon image controller so you have to be specific to the driver you install.

so we really need to know what controllers you have on your motherboard and also what your SATA drives are plugged into as this will determin what drivers you use and what you set in the bios.
sorry if this is long winded and confusing but we really need to find out what you have things plugged into to give you the setting and drivers you will need

P.S look to see if you have 4 black sata ports and 4 blue sata ports

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
yes i have 4 black and 4 blue sata ports i have the drives plugged into the 4 black ones as per the instructions under discwizard from seagate i see two controllers one had a name and nothing attached to it and the other showed my drives but was listed as an unknown controller i will include a link to my exact mobo matter of fact ill copy and paste my entire setup from another forum i posted it on

CASE:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1215768&sku=ULT31824

MOTHERBOARD:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?EdpNo=1766877

CPU:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-detailsInactive.asp?EdpNo=1645063

HARD DRIVES (5)
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/4799749?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

HEATSINK:
http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/...re/1488_1.html

VIDEO CARD:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/X1950XTX

POWER SUPPLY:
http://www.coolmaxusa.com/productDe...ils=features&subcategory=green&category=green

CARD READER:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820131008

CASE FANS 2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999145

i also have 2gb of ram (2-1gb sticks) not sure of specs though

and as far as drives i have a floppy drive and 2 dvd burners since thats all i can have until i find a ide cable with 3 connections or a decent sata drive that is reasonably priced

please let me know if any links are dead

all links should work now

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
just give me a bit as I am helping someone with a problem with there computer on yahoo messenger that i stsrted before you came back online here :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.