This is what i have:
Asus p4c800 deluxe 800 fsb
Intel 2.6 800 fsb hyperthreading
2x512 corsair pc3200 ddr 400
WD 80 gig 10k rpm SATA HD
ATI 9700 pro 128
creative sound blaster audigy 2
xp pro

i just built it recently and tried to purchase some of the best stuff i could given the budget. I have not done much to it yet as far as optimizing and overclocking or any of that. I have done a lot of reading on this site and it seems there is a lot i can/should do to make sure it is the slickest it can be. The reason i ask is becasue this weekend i have some friends comming over for a LAN type gaming party. these guys have sweet systems, and i want my to be faster and better. i installed most things as the default so far. I hear some of you talking about oc'ing in the mobo, mine had little luck so far with that, boot problems if i did. I did update the bios so far. I also hear you guys talk about changing voltage and power?, checking the 400 fsb? the 200 mhtz? all kinds of stuff. I have a lot of power, 0ver 500 ps, and a 6 fan aluminum case. I know there is a lot i can do, can someone start writing me and take me under there wind to learn how i can truly otimize my hardware and os i guess. i disabled a few things on the mobo and updated it, i optimized xp a little, thats all i have done really. I did oc my video card a bit with a tool and it works good, but nothing else. Is my system running 800 fsb for real by default? can i manualy oc my machine since the mobo built in 10%/20% and ram turbo crap never works. How do i optimize my ram, my mobo, my chip, my video all of that. I dont mind playing and failing and reformatting (zero fill) but not sure where to begin. Also i see a lot about issues with the glob on the mobo, the heatsink too tight, and undated chipset optimizing software, should i be concerned or do anything about this stuff? I just used the default stuff on the asus disk? Thanks guys for all the help -- please everyone give your 2 cents -- i want to beat thease guys - peace

new hardware guy
j

·
Guru
1,315 Posts
I also hear you guys talk about changing voltage and power?
Yes with your Corsair memory you might find you need to boost the DDR Reference Voltage to 2.75, but no higher.

it seems there is a lot i can/should do to make sure it is the slickest it can be. The reason i ask is becasue this weekend i have some friends comming over for a LAN type gaming party. these guys have sweet systems, and i want my to be faster and better.
Then I suggest forget overclocking, and save up for a 3.2GHz CPU. Drop that in there, and you will be 23% faster than you are now. Sell your 2.6 to your friends. Your RAM speed is already at the supported design limit of the chipset. The whole mobo is practically cutting-edge already. This will change as time goes on and new ones come out.

Is my system running 800 fsb for real by default?
Yes, it should be. You don't need to wonder about that.

How do i optimize my ram, my mobo, my chip, my video all of that.
IMO it's optimized already. Overclocking it pushes it beyond design limits, and runs the risk of destabilization or damage, which is not optimum. Others will disagree. Some other basic suggestions:
  • Be sure your two DIMM's are in blue slots A1 & B1 on the mobo. If you accidentally have it in A1 & A2, the RAM will run in single channel mode, which is slower.
  • Be sure your HDD is plugged into the SATA_1 port on the mobo, which will be faster than the SATA_RAID1 port.
  • See the http://www.blackviper.com site about tweaking your Virtual Memory swap-file settings.
I just used the default stuff on the asus disk?...should i be concerned or do anything about this stuff?
You should download and reinstall the latest updated drivers for your video and LAN. Seems you are not using the Promise controller or the onboard sound, but you could update those drivers as well. Make sure to run Windows Update and put on the ciritical updates, plus whatever of the rest sound like they would help your gaming experience.

Hope this helps,

-clintfan

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you bought a hard drive identical to the one you have, put them both on the Intel SATA ports, and configured them as RAID 0, you'd see a bit better disk performance.

If you overclock, turn off Spread Spectrum to improve stability.

Turn on 32 bit disk access for your hard drive in the BIOS, and set Enhanced Mode for SATA.

Which Corsair modules did you get?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys this really helped
first off u were right about the dim slots, i had them wrong, i have switched them to both blues, a1,b1 and the system is stable and faster. I also turned 32 bit transfer on as suggested and although i cant notive a difference visualy, it is stable. I did try turning speed spectrum off as suggested for oc even though i dont know what it does (can anyone tell me?) and it did overclock well after that, untill i went into games and then it would just shut down the game after a few seconds even though windows stayed solid, so i turned oc off and back to standard with speed specrum back on. It was more stable while overclocking but not enough, dont know why? I might try just turning the ddr voltage up a bit as suggested now that i have oc off. Does anyone know what performance accelerator mode is? and what is should be set at? I assume performance mode is ram, but not sure about the accelerator. In fact if anyone who knows out there could tell me what all the bios settings should be for optimal performance i would be thankful. thanks for the advice so far, enjoy your help
-the new guy j

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.