Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone 123buster here,,
I'm sad to say my PC is having problems that are beyond my knowledge and would greatly appreciate some help or advice.

The machine is close to 5 years old and it is an HP pc with windows xp.

I turned my computer on one day and saw the Windows logo flash for a second then my screen went black, then after a minute displayed the following message:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original
set up cd-rom. Select "r" at the first screen to start repair."

Is there a method I can repair this myself or will it be necessary for the machine to be serviced?
I thought I read somewhere that the "original set up cd-rom" is not readily available to the public,, which sounds necessary for the repair.

Any advice would be appreciated,, and thanks in advance:pray:

· Enthusiast
4,537 Posts
Without a Microsoft Windows XP CD it's often not as easy to fix things, but trying this may work:
1. Press and hold down F8 as the PC boots, you should get a startup menu provided you are not too late pressing F8. You must press and hold it as soon as the PC is powered up.

2. From the menu choose the option "Last known good configuration" and press Enter.
(you can either choose that option by keying in the item number, or highlight it with up/down arrow keys).

If that fails to correct the problem I hope you are in the habit of keeping backups of your documents, pictures and music files because you may now have to resort to using the recovery discs which you should have been given.
This will re-install everything the way it was when your computer was bought.
But since you can't get Windows to run it's too late to think about making backups of your own files, that's why I said I hope you've already made backups in case something like this happens.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Without a Microsoft Windows XP CD it's often not as easy to fix things, but trying this may work:
1. Press and hold down F8 as the PC boots, you should get a startup menu provided you are not too late pressing F8. You must press and hold it as soon as the PC is powered up.

2. From the menu choose the option "Last known good configuration" and press Enter.
(you can either choose that option by keying in the item number, or highlight it with up/down arrow keys).

If that fails to correct the problem I hope you are in the habit of keeping backups of your documents, pictures and music files because you may now have to resort to using the recovery discs which you should have been given.
This will re-install everything the way it was when your computer was bought.
But since you can't get Windows to run it's too late to think about making backups of your own files, that's why I said I hope you've already made backups in case something like this happens.
Oh I forgot to mention the F8 menu "SAFE MODE" and the other selections will not function or control the machine at all. I am returned to the same black screen displaying the same message.
And I don't beleive I was furnished the recovery discs, but I'll check.

Can the recovery discs be purchased, and if so where?

And if a purchase is not available,
I assume the machine needs serviced or replaced?

thanks

· Roaming To Help
5,678 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.