Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have been having this problem lately where my PC keeps rebooting during any type of gaming app. It seems to run evrything else fine. Anyhow, I took the case off and had a look and the video card fan had a bunch of dust and whatnot in it.

I blew it all out with compressed air and that seemed to solve the problem but not its acting up again and I can't figure out whats wrong. I have a:

ASUS A7V8X-X mobo 1.2Ghz
NVIDIA Geforce 6800 128m

I have the other neccessities like an HDD and CDROM and networking card but thats it. I'm running a 580W aftermarket PSU and I tried blowing a room fan directly onto the video card with case open. All other temp monitors show typical results (I can't test the GPU temp). Could I have fried my card somewhere the first time it went bad?

Thanks for anything

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
do you receive any error message or just a straight reboot with no delay on the restart
what brand of power supply

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, originally i would sometimes get a 132 error (read/write error) from WoW (the game I was playing) but never a "windows have recovered from a serious error" screen. Now it just flat out reboots, no warning or messages. Boots up WinXP and pretends like nothing ever happened.

I am not sure who made the PSU, its nothing fancy though. I tried pulling the plug on the CDROM to see if that changed anything but still no.

I should also mention that my current hardware has been that way for over half a year and everything had been working fine up until this reboot thing started the first time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I highly doubt the PS is actually rated that high. They really like to put higher numbers on it than it is truly rated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I found it, its an Echo Star 580-Watt Dual Fan ATX Power Supply ESTAR580. 115VAC, 230VAC 50-60Hz switchable power supply. Does that help any? Man I hope it does :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, a little more here. MY PSU has 28A on the 3.3v rail, 34amps on the 5, and 14 on the 12v rail. Of course, now I am having trouble figuring out which rail all my components are pulling from....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'll give that a shot then. Oh, and can anyone suggest a good PSU to fit the bill?

Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think so. Actually, yes it does. ASUS probe monitors rails, fans, and temp of the CPU and board...

Can I figure out what my draw is there? I had trouble reading it. Been learning alot of these few days :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way, if I want at least 20 amps on the 12v rail, can I go with the double 12v rail system? How much juice do I need to dedicate for the GFX card? Would 15 amps be enough for my mobo and card?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.