Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my computer from Dell a couple years ago, but I was experiencing various problems with it more recently. So, I bought a new case and motherboard, and I'm attempting to simply remove most of the components from my Dell case and use them in the new case. Everything's going just fine, with two exceptions.

The first, which is minor, deals with the floppy drive. The eject button is recessed on the drive itself, since the Dell case already has a built-in eject that presses the recessed button on the drive. I'll probably just buy a new floppy drive, anyway, since they're pretty cheap.

Anyway, the second deals with the heat sink. First off, the Socket 478 P4 processor fits just fine into the motherboard. No problem there. Sadly, the heat sink that fit into my Dell motherboard without a problem is too large to fit into the new motherboard. I guess my main question is whether or not I'll be able to simply buy a new heat sink without a processor included, as well as how to go about looking for one that'll fit properly. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I know Dell has used proprietory power supplies in the past. You may want to do a little research on this or just make sure you use the power supply from the dell case.

·
Global Moderator
51,325 Posts
Zvalkor said:
I know Dell has used proprietory power supplies in the past. You may want to do a little research on this or just make sure you use the power supply from the dell case.
Uhh... he has a new motherboard. :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
What's your heatsink bumping into? Something on the mobo? If it's that, you may be able to buy a Thermaltake or something. If it's something on the case, you may have to do a bit more looking. :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.