Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Team Manager, Microsoft Support
33,796 Posts
First, be sure to do what Mike said in Post #19. Hopefully the flash didn't do permanent damage.

· Registered
275 Posts
Please get the specs on both the computer and the TV from your friend and share them here. Please be certain to get information on the graphics card. Big question is if there has NEVER been any monitor for the computer how was this computer being used over the years and exactly how old is the computer?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Please get the specs on both the computer and the TV from your friend and share them here. Please be certain to get information on the graphics card. Big question is if there has NEVER been any monitor for the computer how was this computer being used over the years and exactly how old is the computer?
What i know now is that the TV is new, im waiting on a reply on the type but its some noname brand NIA smart TV. The PC we probably wont get many specs as he bought it used, had been used since 2017 when it was new with a monitor which wasnt up for grabs. Its a DELL with just an onboard GPU and its one of those compact dell desk tops. From what i saw not much larger than a foot by a foot by five inches. Thats why im so unfamiliar with it. Hes a total know-nothing when it comes to PCs so he wont be able to tell me any specs and since we cant have a display yet its difficult to get any specs out of it. I assume i could get some out of the BIOS which we can access but i also rarely used it so i wouldnt know where to look. If you help me on that ill get you all the specs i can.

· Registered
275 Posts
What i know now is that the TV is new, im waiting on a reply on the type but its some noname brand NIA smart TV. The PC we probably wont get many specs as he bought it used, had been used since 2017 when it was new with a monitor which wasnt up for grabs. Its a DELL with just an onboard GPU and its one of those compact dell desk tops. From what i saw not much larger than a foot by a foot by five inches. Thats why im so unfamiliar with it. Hes a total know-nothing when it comes to PCs so he wont be able to tell me any specs and since we cant have a display yet its difficult to get any specs out of it. I assume i could get some out of the BIOS which we can access but i also rarely used it so i wouldnt know where to look. If you help me on that ill get you all the specs i can.
What will really matter will be the capability/quality if the graphics end of the equation. From what you have just described about the computer I am seriously doubting that the computer will be capable of doing what your friend needs leaving him SOL. Advise him to start making other arrangements. If he will need this for employment suggest he ask the company if they have a spare monitor.

Sincerely,

Wonder Woman

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hello guys.

So we did the BIOS reset to default settings which got windows working again and got the neighbour to lend us his monitor. set the resolution to 1280x720 and that did the trick. Works like a charm now on the TV. It appears to have been just a resolution compatability error.

Thank you all so much for your help its amazing how quick and consistently this forum is trying to help. I was at first afraid people on here would mock me for not having specs or being able to be specific about the problem but i was proven wrong. Wonderful community, thanks again.

· Registered
11 Posts
I am surprise nobody has asked the very basic questions such as how old the computer is and what type of graphics card does it have or is it using strictly onboard graphics from the motherboard? Or it would also be a good suggestion to check for updated drivers.
Deleat graphics card driver and reinstall and or update is a good starting point.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I hope someone can help me on here quickly, im desperate.

A friend of mine needs a windows PC for work but hes literally out of money for a monitor. So he tried hooking up his Smart TV to his PC using an HDMI cable. Now the following happens: The TV displays the windows desktop for a second or so and then switches to "no signal". Online i find a bunch of fixes for when there is no signal at all but i have yet to find a solution for when the image is actually displayed correctly for a second and then goes to no signal. We tried the usual fixes like unplugging everything etc. what i am yet to try is getting another hdmi cable, trying hdmi to VGA as an emergency fix as there wont be audio and he would have to try and get some reallly cheap speakers, (VGA to VGA we cant try yet as the pc for some reason only has a female VGA port, not a male one yet he only has a male to male VGA cable.) Ive read a bit that it could be a resolution problem but the one second of image that is visible seems to display fine resolution.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be and how to fix it? I dont know the specifics of the TV or the PC yet but i can get those quickly if that could be necessary.

thank you so much for the help.

Andy
I have a similar issue . I was not getting in picture unplugged everything then tried my Chromecast and it worked so the HDMI port was good, Then got the computer working then it stopped again . When I unplugged the computer from the TV the TV fully works. I think it has to be due to the graphics card drivers. I have an MSI RX470 graphic card. Luckily for me I don't use it too much It is used as a third monitor if I want to watch TV from my cable provider ( I have no box in this room but can stream it on the computer the to TV) I am still trying to figure things out or hope the issue new drivers for the fix.(my TV is not a smart TV , and 9 years old.)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.