Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I hope someone can help me on here quickly, im desperate.

A friend of mine needs a windows PC for work but hes literally out of money for a monitor. So he tried hooking up his Smart TV to his PC using an HDMI cable. Now the following happens: The TV displays the windows desktop for a second or so and then switches to "no signal". Online i find a bunch of fixes for when there is no signal at all but i have yet to find a solution for when the image is actually displayed correctly for a second and then goes to no signal. We tried the usual fixes like unplugging everything etc. what i am yet to try is getting another hdmi cable, trying hdmi to VGA as an emergency fix as there wont be audio and he would have to try and get some reallly cheap speakers, (VGA to VGA we cant try yet as the pc for some reason only has a female VGA port, not a male one yet he only has a male to male VGA cable.) Ive read a bit that it could be a resolution problem but the one second of image that is visible seems to display fine resolution.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be and how to fix it? I dont know the specifics of the TV or the PC yet but i can get those quickly if that could be necessary.

thank you so much for the help.

Andy

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you move cable around to see if makes a differenc. I have an hdmi cable from are cable box to tv some times I have to move it around to have picture come in clear I need to get new cable just lazy and never get one
I thought about that but he told me he tried it. He doesnt live closeby so all the help i can get him is via videocall. i do want to see it myself on video. He claims it doesnt change with a wiggle. But its on my list for tomorrow

· Premium Member
20,002 Posts
when it comes on for a second, does it go off before or after it gets the window screen when you power on?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when it comes on for a second, does it go off before or after it gets the window screen when you power on?
It doesnt really matter. If i change the input while the pc is already on and switch back to the correct input then it also shows the windows desktop image for a second and then goes back to displaying "no signal".

· Premium Member
20,002 Posts
are you using any type of temporary monitor for the pc? If so, what is the current refresh rate and resolution. You will get that message if using the wrong input but you can also get it when the computer has the wrong resolution for the tv.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
are you using any type of temporary monitor for the pc? If so, what is the current refresh rate and resolution. You will get that message if using the wrong input but you can also get it when the computer has the wrong resolution for the tv.
Thats the main issue why im stuck. Theres no monitor at all, never has been. The TV is all there is. So ive gotta manage somehow to use the TV as a primary monitor without having another monitor for making adjustments. Or maybe using key combinations only for adjustments because the PC boots right into the windows desktop. No user login or the sort.

· Premium Member
20,002 Posts
Thats the main issue why im stuck. Theres no monitor at all, never has been. The TV is all there is. So ive gotta manage somehow to use the TV as a primary monitor without having another monitor for making adjustments. Or maybe using key combinations only for adjustments because the PC boots right into the windows desktop. No user login or the sort.
Most computers will boot without a monitor. Most computers will show a screen until it needs to start the screen settings. If the settings are right, It will continue, if not, depending on the problem, it could give you the error you are getting. If you have already when through all the tv settings with no luck, then there will be no choice but to troubleshoot on the PC. If you need to make adjustments on the pc, you WILL need a monitor. If the tv cannot be used, then maybe use your own monitor and try troubleshoot, after all it is a friend, unless you use a tv too.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Most computers will boot without a monitor. Most computers will show a screen until it needs to start the screen settings. If the settings are right, It will continue, if not, depending on the problem, it could give you the error you are getting. If you have already when through all the tv settings with no luck, then there will be no choice but to troubleshoot on the PC. If you need to make adjustments on the pc, you WILL need a monitor. If the tv cannot be used, then maybe use your own monitor and try troubleshoot, after all it is a friend, unless you use a tv too.
My friend is quite far away from me. Other side of the globe far. I know im not making it easy for you guys and i greatly appreciatw the help. Ill try your suggestions with him amd report back. If meanwhile any of you have an epiphany then id be happy to hear it.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
okay so i have more details now. when everything is unplugged and we plug everything back in, turn on the TV first and then the pc it makes it to the windows desktop screen because it has an SSD so the boot time is really quick. once we are there it usually holds that image for just amoment, sometimes it works for a few minutes, but rarely. and then goes to "no signal"

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this has happened now: i watched a few youtube videos and one of them suggested a CMOS reset. i did that now a different problem came up and that is that windows doesnt even wanna start up. thats obviously not optimal but what i have seen is that the whole setup works fine in BIOS. the TV shows the low-res BIOS image just fine indefinitely. it seems to me that its obviously just a resolution problem which can easily be solved with a different monitor. I just told him he simply has to find someone to temporarily lend him a monitor to adjust the resolution to something the TV can support.

Obviously i now have the different problem that when he starts up the PC after the CMOS reset by taking out the battery on the motherboard for 5 minutes it prompts an error message giving either F1 to tra a reboot, F2 for BIOS setup or F3 for recovery tool (if i remember correctly). im not versed in BIOS settings so all i tried was adjusting the date and time but that was by default on some day in 2017 which shouldnt cause boot problems for windows. if i press F1 (or after having accessed the BIOS and then rebooting) the PC makes it till the windows loading screen and then gives a "your PC has encountered a problem" blue screen with that mocking :( smiley and i cant seem to fix that now. any help onthat now?

sorry for being so difficult, and i appreciate all your help.

· Registered
275 Posts
I am surprise nobody has asked the very basic questions such as how old the computer is and what type of graphics card does it have or is it using strictly onboard graphics from the motherboard? Or it would also be a good suggestion to check for updated drivers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.