Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, here is the history of this situation..

My friend bought this brand new system:

Pentiem 64bit 2.4
SATA WD 8GB
Gigabyte K8 Triton K8VT800 Pro
blah blah blah (don't remember the others but these are what matters)

After some months of working with it suddenly the HDD would not boot into the windows..It passes the windows xp boot screen but when it is time to boot to the desktop it restarts and goes all over again into an infinite loop..

So she brought the pc to me, I tried backing up the HDD with Easy Recovery Pro 6 to prepare to format. (By the way, we bought a new SATA HDD so that we can use the old as slave and recover it. Booting through the new HDD Windows could see the old one but could not open it. A message poped out every time I tried to open it telling me something's wrong with the drive. It didn't suggested me to format it)

Well, the recovery program could not find anything..I used the mode which tells that the FS was NTFS (I don't remember right now where was that option). Once failed I also tried the option to find the OS by itself, which also failed.

Anyways, we send the HDD to the store where she bought it and they told us that they formatted the HDD (duh! We wanted to save my friends work and send the HDD to be replaced) and it worked to them..The thing is, I recently had an CHKDSK crash with my HDD. I recovered it, formatted it and send it back. They accepted it because this sort of crash is common and would happen again. To my friend (the store was not the same) they said it will happen again, but there is no proof of knowing when...so they can't replace it!!!

So when she installed the old one (which we got back from the store formatted) as slave the error came again! Then she uninstalled it and the new HDD also crashed with a blue screen error of "Unable to mount drive volume" or something like that.

What's going on....????

P.S. I thought of ruining the HDD with other ways (magnetic fields, hitting it, etc) so I can send it and be replaced, but one of the times I tried to connect the HDD I accidentaly broke a little plastic piece of the SATA power pin (the one that is there for making sure you don't connect it wrong) and that will look like I really did did that in that intention.. :S

Sorry for babling and my english.. I tried to give as much information as I could. Thanx for taking the time reading it.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
welcome to tsf

change cables yet?
try a different power leg?
tell us about the psu and your antivirus programs
are you grounding yourself before pulling the drives, ect.?
try a different wall outlet?
its something aside from your drives

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uhm...
I used different cables. The new HDD had new cables..
And the HDD had the old fashion power leg also so I tried it too..
I don't have any antivirus program...
what is psu and wall outlet..?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
do as joe says

psu is your power supply in your machine
and your wall outlet is what the computer plugs into, if its going to a power surge strip, go directly into the wall outlet

when you are up and running -- download avg - ewido - and adaware se for protection, thats not an option..its a must.

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.