Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question.
I have 2 HDDs in my compy. one is 160gb 7200 rpm maxtor running at 43'C
the other is 38gb 7200 rpm maxtor running at a whopping 30-70'C. What can i do to lower these temps apart from adding more fans (no room for them) and buying a HDD cooler? the 38 gb is the system HDD if that makes a difference and my crap case only has 2 hdd slots so they are literally right on top of eachother.

i took a 12inch fan, removed the side of the case and had that blowing in there but there is only room under my desk for my knees so that was a short lived solution. with the fan though, it brought the 160 gb hdd temps down to approx 35 and the 38gb hdd to approx 55.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

Boy, that is a tough situation with only two slots. I almost question the temp reading on the one that goes from 30 to 70. That just does not seem logical and the reading might be suspect, because that temp is way too hot for continued operation of that hard drive.

I have a few suggestions:

First of all, change them around and see if the temp changes by moving one to the other slot and reversing the other drive to that slot.

Second, if you have ribbon cables for the IDE drives, then get the round cables to increase air flow.

Third, move all cables (the best you can) away from the hot drive to facilitate air flow.

Fourth, make sure you have your front fan blowing in and your back fan blowing out. That should move cool air over the drives.

Fifth, if you can't solve it any other way, then consider a hard drive cooler. For me, that would be a very last resort, because with two fans and the power supply fan, there should be enough air over those drives to keep them within a normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, that was a typo. that should read 60-70 celcius. and its barly operating as it is. lately my comp has been locking up. all sounds loop, i can see everything that was happening at the time of the lockup but i can't do squat.

I'll try your suggestions and get back to you as soon as i can.

And thanks for the quick reply.

Mr_Bumpy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.