Tech Support Forum banner

HDD showing 0 GB in bios

12K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  dwight_parker 
#1 ·
Hey there, I hope you are well.
I am in big trouble. Please help
I was trying to solve the error code: 0xc0000185

Tried solutions in some of the YouTube videos but ended up getting a new problem.

BIOS of my laptop is showing HDD (0 GB) and when I am trying to install windows it is showing me this:

Previously, it was showing HDD(1000GB) but HDD was not there in boot priority.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey there, I hope you are well.
I am in big trouble. Please help
I was trying to solve the error code: 0xc0000185

Tried solutions in some of the YouTube videos but ended up getting a new problem.

BIOS of my laptop is showing HDD (0 GB) and when I am trying to install windows it is showing me this:

Previously, it was showing HDD(1000GB) but HDD was not there in boot priority.

#4 ·
I tried:
bootrec /rebuildbcd
attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /rebuildbcd

I was still getting "Scanning all disks for Windows installations. Please wait, since this may take a while... Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total identified Windows installations: 0 The operation completed successfully."

ren c:\boot\bcd.old bcd

#12 ·
The title of your thread is incorrect.
In Setup (Bios) it shows your Hitatchi HDD is 1000GB or 1TB. It does not show on your Boot Priority because it is blank.
You are trying to install Windows using the Windows installer and it shows your drive is Unallocated Space,. which is what you would want, if you are installing Windows.
If you had data on the HDD and are trying to recover it, you will need Data Recovery software. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack

#18 ·
The title of your thread is incorrect.
In Setup (Bios) it shows your Hitatchi HDD is 1000GB or 1TB. It does not show on your Boot Priority because it is blank.
You are trying to install Windows using the Windows installer and it shows your drive is Unallocated Space,. which is what you would want, if you are installing Windows.
If you had data on the HDD and are trying to recover it, you will need Data Recovery software. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack

#14 · (Edited)
Restart the installer choose your Language and hold down the Shift Key+F10 this should open the Command Prompt.
At the prompt type Diskpart and press Enter.
At the Diskpart prompt type List Disk and press Enter. It will list disk by number.
Now type Select Disk number Where number is the number of the drive in the previous command (ie) Select Disk 1 and press Enter. The disk is now selected.
Now type Clean and press Enter, this will wipe the drive. If you have a UEFI Bios, you can choose to Initialize the drive GPT by typing
Convert GPT and press enter.
Restart the installer and try the Windows install again.
The drive currently is showing Unallocated Space, meaning there is no used or free space currently until you create a partition and Format it. If you are trying to install Windows, in Where to Install Windows, Press Next and Windows will create partitions and format them during the install.

#24 ·
As previously stated the more you mess with the drive, and try to convert partition type,or perform other operations that would write to the drive the less likely you will be able to recover data..... and if you needed the data, why were you going to try and reinstall Windows..... SATA drives have the drive parameters written on the drive.... heads, cylinders, etc...... When the drive initializes upon power up, the system reads those operating parameters..... it could have gotten overwritten/corrupted or you might simply have a head that can no longer read those parameters.... I have recommended to customers reputable data recovery companies but never had any willing to spend the money to recover their data.....some will not charge anything if they can not recover, but it could get fairly expensive........but why not get a free estimate if you really need the data......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.