Tech Support banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
I have a laptop here. HP Pavilion 15-cs0009ca.

When i go to the Bios, the 1TB hard drive is visible,

however, when i go into the Windows installer, it is not visible. i have tried going to administrator X:/ command prompt, X:\sources\DISKPART\List Volume, and it only shows my windows installation tool drive in Volume 0. it doesnt show my drive, even though the PC's Bios recognizes it.

does anyone have any idea how i could go about fixing this?

Thank you in advance for any time you are able to dedicate to this.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,957 Posts
Does it show in File Explorer?

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,229 Posts
:eek: It looks like you used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, selected your 1TB Seagate ST1000LM035 HDD and then ignored the warning that it would delete everything on it in order to create a Windows 10 bootable Installation disk?

·
28,957 Posts
Please confirm you were working on a USB drive. If so the warning was correct that Doc mentioned. Your post is confusing. Did you try to create the bootable drive on a partition of your main drive. I hope not, but please post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Please confirm you were working on a USB drive. If so the warning was correct that Doc mentioned. Your post is confusing. Did you try to create the bootable drive on a partition of your main drive. I hope not, but please post.
The PC was failing to boot. i had run repair tool, which failed. i ran a reset, which failed. i pulled the drive, and plugged it into my toaster. it read on my primary PC as functional, but had software corruption. so i ran a Format on the disk image, and am now trying to preform a clean install of the drive. i formatted the drive to Re-Install windows. i have done it a thousand times on other devices with no issue.

now when im booting from USB in order to install on the formatted drive, the drive doesn't show up as "Un-allocated space" like it is supposed to

·
28,957 Posts
So it won't boot or won't reinstall OS?

·
8,229 Posts
Connect that drive, and only that drive inside a desktop computer ... directly to the motherboard with a SATA cable, and of course a power lead from the PSU.

Boot the computer from your Windows 10 Installation USB flash drive and then follow the prompts to delete any and all partitions, create at least a single partition and format it, and then install Windows. IOW, all of the tools are right there built into the Windows Installation routine.

--edit--

BTW, A normal Windows 10 (Home or Pro) cannot be installed onto a USB drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry @SpywareDr and @Corday, i realized i was un clear about this,so i was editing my last comment when these came in. but now when im booting from USB in order to install on the formatted drive, the drive doesn't show up as "Un-allocated space" like it is supposed to. there is zero access from the windows installer.

·
8,229 Posts
Them try sticking it back in your "toaster", DBANning it (Darik’s Boot and Nuke – DBAN), reconnect it back in the computer and try again.

BTW, Windows will not be able to see the drive until BIOS can. Might also try and reset the BIOS to factory defaults, save exit and then go back in.

·
8,229 Posts
Yep. I remember seeing that now, Could be a problem with the drive. Might want to run the manufacturer's diagnostics utility to see if it gets a "Pass" or "Fail" (with the extended test if available). If it's a "Fail", no need to waste any more time with it. Replace it and be done with it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The issue I believe is that you formatted the USB with fat32 instead of UEFI/GPT

You need to recreate the USB drive with UEFI/GPT partition instead of fat32.

Should be able to see it in the windows installer then.

·
8,229 Posts
In the OP's DISKPART screenshot above, it shows a Label of "ESD-USB". ESD=Electronic Software Delivery and USB=Universal Serial Bus (of course).

Microsoft's Media Creation tool adds this Label on a bootable USB flash drive containing all of the files required to install Windows 10.

So, in other words, it appears that instead of telling Microsoft's Media Creation Tool to use the drive letter of their inserted USB Flash drive, they used the drive letter of an available hard drive. :eeK:

And yes, the Media Creation Tool does pop-up a warning that all contents will be lost if you continue. (Oops!)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes I saw that too. But Win10 creates a GPT partition by default. So after he wiped the existing partition, Windows 10 install more then likely created a GPT partition. He has to use a GPT partition on the USB drive else the GPT partition on the sata drive will not be recognized by the fat32 partition on the USB drive or delete the GPT partition and create a MBR partition. The fat32 USB drive will then be able to find the MBR (NTFS partition) when the the Windows 10 installation starts.

·
8,229 Posts

·
Premium Member
41,908 Posts
In Diskpart, List Volume, Disk 0 is listed as Removable and is 14Gb. This sounds more like the USB Flash drive.
In Diskpart, run List Disk. That should list the Seagate drive unless it has an issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts