Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've had a browse through the forums, and done a search for this problem; But can't find a similar thread. I hope i'm not reposting if this problem has already been expalined.

But here goes, one of my members of staff has been given a new laptop, and wants to give her old one to someone else in her office. So i want to format it and give it a fresh start as its running very sluggishly.

btw its running xp service pack 3

If i boot off the hdd it starts up and loads windows fine!
when i boot off the cd rom drive the hdd is not detected by the windows installer.

Although it is detected by the bios!

So i thought it may be a duff cd, so I booted up using Hirens. The Hdd was not there.
Booted up using the hirens on a flash drive too.. No HDD

Is this making sense to anyone?

The HDD is SATA, and like i said before its in a laptop, no jumpers have been moved, and nothing has been changed on the motherboard.

Hope someone knows whats happening,

Thanks for reading

Andy

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
XP does not provide native SATA drivers. You will either need to load the motherboard sata drivers during the XP install when prompted to hit f6, slipstream those drivers into the XP installation disk with nlite, or the simplest, set the SATA ports in BIOS to run in IDE/Legacy/Compatibility mode so that BIOS reports it as an IDE drive to the installer. If you still have the original factory install recovery disk, you could use that also, it should have the drivers already in place

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.