Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologize to the mods if this has been covered already. Just a couple of questions.
I have a windows Xp (Pro) Seagate HD (Dell) out of a computer, (motherboard fried), and am wondering: can I just connect it to my current computer as a external HDD without deleting anything or formatting, & browse/open files? I don't necessarily want to use the OS, although that would be nice. The computer I want to connect is also a Dell XP (Home).
From all the reading I've been doing, I understand that just swapping hard drives, (I'd rather have XP PRO running), won't work. Something about if more than 3 of 10 items change in a particular computer it will just lock it up, and you have to re-install the operating system. Something about the licensing. Is that correct?
I'd just do a swap if I could. I do not have a disk with the OS on it, as I purchased this computer from work a couple years ago, cheap.

I've also considered slaving it & have the proper ribbon cable to do that but am wondering would the XP pro boot being that it's from a different computer?
And if I slave it, would I have to re-format or just be able to view the files on it, since their both a version of XP?
How would I transfer what's on it before re-formatting?
Both HDD's are 40GB, and both have approx. 3/4 of the discs in use, so I don't have the room to save one to the other. I do have a Compaq with Vista 120GB so I could save it to that one.

I'm fairly technical, at least with smartphones: rooted/flashed Android, changed led screens, buttons, and changed firmware on a few different phone OS's so I think I can & want to learn more about my computers.

Can you folks help me out, steer me in the right direction?
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

· Premium Member
20,006 Posts
you can use it as a spare drive but you cannot use the operating system. It is manufacturer oem and it can never be transfer to another computer.

If you add it as a slave it would be best to reformat it so the operating system and any installed programs are gone to recover usable storage space.

see the following for some instructions

How to Install a Slave Hard Drive | eHow.com

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can use it as a spare drive but you cannot use the operating system. It is manufacturer oem and it can never be transfer to another computer.

If you add it as a slave it would be best to reformat it so the operating system and any installed programs are gone to recover usable storage space.

see the following for some instructions

How to Install a Slave Hard Drive | eHow.com

Wow, quick reply.
So you'd suggest using as a slave versus a external HD ?
Actually read that link, found it with Google.

· Premium Member
20,006 Posts
Wow, quick reply.
So you'd suggest using as a slave versus a external HD ?
Actually read that link, found it with Google.
I would suggest slave but if you do not have the space then go external. It is faster when slave.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suggest slave but if you do not have the space then go external. It is faster when slave.

Thanks. Fast is what I want. I have plenty of room so I'll do the slave.
Didn't think about which would be faster.
One more question: How do I save the files on it before formatting?
Appreciate your help.

· Premium Member
20,006 Posts
you should be able to copy the files you want to save to the master when you first install it and before formatting. If you do not have the space, possible save them on a cd or other storage medium you may have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.