Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have this problem, and it gives me a headache. :banghead:

I have a hard disk drive 3,5 inch (for a desktop comp) , WD 1TB, and it's pluged in as an external disk drive (with an adapter) to a laptop. And that works perfectly fine.

Several months before I needed it for my desktop computer, to move some files to it temporary, and I used it that time with my desktop comp., and it all worked ok.

Now, I need it for the same purpose, but I have a problem. When I plug it in desktop computer as an external disk drive, while I'm running windows 7 64bit, windows recognizes it, and the hard disk works, but every 2,3 minutes it stops working, like it is being unplugged and plugged in again. Same when I tried with fresh install of windows 7, and with linux ubuntu. So I tried plugging it in like an internal disk drive (with SATA cable, while the comp is shut down) and then when I start computer it boots up veeeeeery slowly, and when I enter BIOS setup (which takes about 2 minutes) it doesnt show anything plugged where the HDD should be. I tried different SATA slots, different cables, and still nothing.

And to mention again, several months before that all worked ok, and the HDD works fine on the other computer (laptop). Maybe it's problem with BIOS software, but i'm really not sure.

I would appreciate any help ! Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
two things could be causing this. Faulty port or a power management feature on the port. Make sure your OS is not set to enter any kind of power saving mode.

·
Registered
40,653 Posts
The HDD may be failing.Or the USB adapter may be failing. On the computer that the HDD is recognized, Download WD DataLifeGuard for Windows from my signature. Run the Short and Long tests on the drive. This may solve the problem, but if either tests fail the HDD needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
On my desktop comp. I have some other hard disk that I'm using, that is always in. I've put this WD 1TB instead of it, I mean, I took out that hard disk that is working, and used same SATA cable, same power cable, and same SATA port, and that doesn't work. So I thing that ports and cables aren't the problem.

And my desktop comp. won't read hard disk even in BIOS, so i don't think that power saving is causing the problem.

The USB adapter is surely not the problem, because I tried plugging the HDD in as an internal HDD (without the adapter),and that also doesn't work, and on laptop with that adapter everything works fine.

I'll do the test, and come back here... Thanks for help

·
Registered
184 Posts
well sounds pooched. Having said that WD has an excellent factory warranty. Usually up to two years on there drives may want to call them up

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.