Tech Support banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am trying to repair a PC for someone that was experiencing a large number of blue screen errors.

I ended up updating some drivers and it has all gone down hill from there, the Windows installation
seems to be totally corrupt now and I can no longer log in.

I discovered that the hard disk was failing (Short DST Check). I have tried installing Windows fresh
from a bootable USB and also a ISO image on a USB but get the same error as soon as the installations starts
(0x8007025D) see the pictures below.

I have just reformatted the hard disk using command prompt and I will try to install Windows again.

Am I wasting my time trying to do a fresh install on what appears to be a corrupt hard drive?
Are there any solutions other than replacing the hard drive?

Would really appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks

Attachments

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,729 Posts
Hope a backup was made early in the process, but if not, data might still be salvageable onto the new disc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree - don't waste your time - as Dr Bones McCoy used to say on the original Star Trek "It's Dead Jim"......replace the disk. Before you go buying a new drive, how old is the computer? if it is between 5-7 years don't waste the money on just a drive replace the whole computer because it is at it's full obsolescence age.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree - don't waste your time - as Dr Bones McCoy used to say on the original Star Trek "It's Dead Jim"......replace the disk. Before you go buying a new drive, how old is the computer? if it is between 5-7 years don't waste the money on just a drive replace the whole computer because it is at it's full obsolescence age.
PC is only 2years old or so. Yep looks like a new drive is needed, maybe upgrade to a m.2. Thanks all

·
Registered
58 Posts
It is worth replacing the drive and not the whole unit....was there any additional warranty purchased with it? I would call the mfg of both the actual laptop and drive itself and see what either of them says to see if either of them will be "stand up" companies because a drive should not fail after just 2 years INMHO

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
27,729 Posts
s because a drive should not fail after just 2 years INMHO
The lowest level of Seagate 1.5 TB drives had a 14% failure rate in the first year according to Backblaze.

·
Premium Member
41,311 Posts
A SanDisk Cruzer is usually a USB Flash drive? You didn't say, is this a desktop computer? or a Laptop? You can remove the SSD/HSD from the computer and get the exact make and model# then Request an RMA from the manufacturer, it is under warranty. Send the drive to them. Let it be known that they will send you back a Refurbished drive of the same make and model #, if available, which may fail sooner then a brand new drive. It will also take a few weeks for the return to complete. here is a form for a SanDisk: Online RMA Request

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are wasting your time. A failed DST test means the drive is failing or has already failed, the drive needs to be replaced. We suggest replacing it with an SSD drive. Both SSD's and HDD's have come way down in price.
I agree. Change over drive to SSD and new install of the latest version of windows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts