Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.... First post. Perhaps someone can help me with this HDD problem I have.

I have just purchased a WD 80GB 7200 (8mb cache)

I installed it into a system containing a Celeron 700 CPU and Gigabyte GA-6VXE7+ mainboard. Ram is 2x64mb of PC100.

HDD set to master. Tried to install Windows 2000 and received error message that NTLDR is missing. Restart system. Tried to format the partition again and reinstall and received the same message.

Decided to move the HDD to my Duron 1Ghz, 256mb PCI 133 ram, Mecury mainboard. HDD was hard to pick up. I changed it to slave and installed a 6Gb HDD as master (No OS installed and same IDE cable). formatted, installed on the new drive and received the ntkrnl.exe is missing error. repeated process of deleting the partions and reformatting and still go the same message.

I have then started again and installed the windows 2000 on the 6Gb Gb drive, works perfectly. System starts and the full space is available on the new drive.

I intend running a duel boot on the PC with Windows 2000 Server. So I thought I would install Windows 2000 server on the new drive. After copying the necessary files across the drive reboots and fails to boot with the same kernel error. I have since installed the server on the 6Gb drive without any problems.

Obviously I don't want to use this 6Gb drive as it is required elsewhere.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!?!?!?!

·
Citizen of the world
51,047 Posts
First off, what is the date of your BIOS? If it's 1999 or earlier, it's possible you have a recognition issue with the hard disk. Also, have you installed the 80gig drive as a slave and see if you can format it with W2K and access the full capacity?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I will let you know how I go when I get some time. :dead:

I have updated the bios on one system, the other was already 2001.

I will read through that MS doco fully. I had found a similar doco but it really didn't quite fit the mark as well as this one seems to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.