Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a computer with a fried power supply. So I thought it's from a power surge. But as I did backup on a different computer with that HDD (I replaced it, because it was already very weak) same smell came out of that power supply (hope it didn't affect it too much, it's a good expensive Enermax).
By the way it's a Quantum Fireball CR 8GB.
Just wondering if anybody else had already that same problem?

·
Registered
376 Posts
When was that hard drive manufactured? 1999 or so?

My guess would be a short in the power systems of that old hard drive. Did it sound as though the hard drive was able to spin and access data?

What other devices are attached to the IDE cable? This old drive operates at ATA66, which might cause a bit of trouble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't show on the hard drive, but 1999 could be (8GB).
And there is no other device on the IDE port connected.
After the computer shuts down, the drive spins for several seconds with a high strange sound.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The motor seems to be working on the old drive. Does the high sound resemble a siren? These forums need a place to upload strange computer sounds.

I've gotten the siren sound from a newer hard drive when my power supply was going bad. This most likely was when my system was trying to use more wattage than the supply could give, or my old power supply simply wore out. Power shortages can be just as damaging as surges. With that new PSU, I doubt this would be the case with your system.

There was no smoke or a funny smell from the hard drive itself? The new PSU is in a separate system as the original PSU fry, correct? When a PSU goes bad, it can damage other components along with it.

My only suggestion is to try it in an old PC you can afford to lose, run a utility in DOS before anything boots up to see if any data is recoverable off of it and if there are disk errors. If things don't go well with that, or with backing things up afterwards, I'd abandon that old hard drive. I had to abandon an old drive long ago under similar circumstances.

If you somehow are able to back up things from the old drive, pick and choose which files are important enough to save, and save them little by little. Don't overwork the old drive. Keeping its activity to a minimum would be the key to any success.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These forums need a place to upload sounds of different sirenes too ;o)
But it comes pretty close to that.
The HDD itself doesn't smell at all. And thank god I could backup all the datas, before I realized that fried smell from my PSU (which is in a seperate system). So that HDD will land in the garbage anyway.
I just was curious if somebody else had similar experiences.
But probably it was like you said, the system was trying to use more juice than the supply could give (a few days before I added an Ethernet Card, which doesn't need too much power, but probably just enough for the PSU).

Thank you for your reply Mental_Myopia

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.