Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, this is the final of a trio of issues i've posted around, and this one is minor, but still irritating. When I try to put my machine to sleep, after 15 minutes every time, one of my HDDs will make a 'click-whrrrt' noise, and the machine will wake itself up from sleep. I've tried pretty much everything to fix it, from fiddling around in the sleep settings to monitoring HDD activity. (When the clicks happen, HDD activity dropped to 0 briefly before resuming.)

Should I prepare to buy a new HDD?

Edit: specs

ASUS P8V68-V mobo
Core i7 quad 2600
ASUS 560ti GPU
Corsair 750w PSU
60gb SSD
x2 1.5tb HDD
Generic wireless card
Generic sound card

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, diagnostics is a good idea to run. How would you describe the click-sound? Would you say that it sounds like the head is hitting the housing of the drive? If so, it's a bad sign and I would swap the drive for a new one. If you're still within warranty, initiate RMA process.

Pay attention to sounds coming from the drive while running the diagnostics test. Western Digital has their own diagnostics software, as do Seagate. The latter one even works on most other brands as well, and a short generic test, followed by a long generic test should suffice.

In any case, I would back up the contents of the drive ASAP. Better safe than sorry.

Regards,

tweak

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.