Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iv'e recently been learning about all the different ways to backup files from a hard drive to removable media, but i just dont know which way to go. i have two samsung IDE hard drives hooked up at the moment, both 160GB a piece. the C: drive contains the OS, programs etc and the other drive i keep for all my video files, music, games and movies, this is the drive i need to backup.

the problem is there is like 126GB worth of stuff on there iv'e collected for years, of which i really dont want to lose, but with it being such a large amount of data how can i back it up? iv'e been reading about norton ghost and similar apps but they seem more geared towards copying entire HD's with the OS and settings intact to other machines. i dont need this. all i want to do is backup files, not settings or anything else, just media files.

is there any software i could use that would compress the large amount of data to a more reasonable size? also if there is, do they have a function where they can predict the size of the zip/rar (or whatever) that will be produced after compression?

i really dont know much about backing up stuff this large so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcome to TSF:

I strongly suggest using xxclone.com (can download for free trial period) it will clone an entire drive or PARTIAL back-up

I dont reccomend the compression thing if you want a tru reliable back-up / any way you alter files (compression) makes them a touch less relaible WHEN the time comes you will need them. I strongly reccomend the use of cheap used drives found on ebay to back-up your data then disconnect and put away !! I personally use 40 & 60 gig drives that I have picked up for $20.00 -30 bucks / back up my music and videos, data files etc and Never have to worry about loss again.

regards

joe

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
For data drives, I just use a file synchronization utility. I recommend a large USB 2.0 hard disk for backup, you can leave it off most of the time, totally protecting the backup copy. There are several rebate deals running right now on 300gig and 320gig hard disks, and the USB 2.0 external case shouldn't cost more than $30. Take a look at these sites.

More Stuff 4 Less

Tech Bargains

Deal News

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your help guys, i'll have to wait until payday then and go for an external drive, seems the most sensible option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.