Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure whether this message belongs in this forum or with motherboards, because I'm not entirely sure where the problem starts, but here it goes:

I'm running two hard drives on my IDE1, a 60GB maxtor and a 40GB WD. Every so often (seemingly at random), my computer will freeze. Occasionally, I will be bombarded with windows error messages stating "Unknown Hard". When I reboot, the BIOS fails to detect both hard drives. I tossed 2 ribbon cables before realizing that all I needed to do was detach and reattach the mobo connector, which instantly fixes the problem (until the next time). This is getting to be a pain, and I was wondering whether I should be worried about the hard drives, the mobo (failing IDE1?), or some other aspect of the system.

Thanks much

Specs:
Shuttle AK37A mobo (fully updated BIOS)
AMD 1700+
512MB RAM
60GB Maxtor HDD (master, IDE1)
40GB WD HDD (slave, IDE1)
generic PSU (300W)
Gainward GeForce4 4800

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the psu idea. Since I'm a home user, and this isn't a constant problem (it's occasionally ok for up to two weeks), borrowing parts is a no-go. Is there any way to figure out exactly what the problem is so that I can repair it without replacing the entire system in the process?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.