Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I currently have 5 Hard drives of 80 gig each. How can i set it up to appear as 1 logical harddrive so it would appear as i have a 400 GIG . Anyone knows of a website where i can read more on how to accomplish this thing.

Thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good Question:

Their are 2 ways,

1) hardware
Youll need to buy a raid card, not recomended for the average user

2) software

Before creating a combined drive, youll need to clean off the data on the drives your trying to combine + you cant use the partition with your operating system

Do the following:
goto controll panels: administrative tools: computer management

Open Disk Management. (on the left hand side)

Right-click the unallocated (youll need to delete any exsisting partitions first) space on one of the dynamic disks where you want to create the RAID-5 volume, and then click Create Volume.

In the Create Volume wizard, click Next, click RAID-5 volume, and then follow the instructions on your screen

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Can I ask why you want to do this? How do you intend to backup this composite disk? What benefit do you hope to derive from this process?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I have 600gb on this system, spread across 4 disks. I have no desire to have them all appear as a single drive, it would make management of the data a nightmare! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont expect any benefits from doing this except for expanding my knowledge on how to set up raid controller and manipulating my hard drive to appear as one. I guess I have lots of time in my hands that I'd like to do a variety of things of how to set up my hard drives.

Thanks for all the reply, but if anyone can recommend a website for this topic that would be really great...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.