Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased and installed a WD 80GB SE 7200 drive which was recommended as being fast and quiet although not as quiet as a Maxtor or Seagate. Old Maxtor 20GB 7200 had a noticable idle noise but its seeks and writes were almost inaudible. The WD on the other hand growls when it first starts and had an audible whine (not as loud as Maxtor) but its seeks and write are pretty loud. Its in a Coolermaster ATC110 with 6 fans (3 case, two PS and 1 processor) and you basically hear every seek and write from about 10 feet or more from the case. Normal or should I RMA it for another one or do you think its normal (know its pretty subjective)?

S

·
0 Posts
How old is it? If you just got it locally I would be running that baby back for another one. Just to be on the safe side.

Besides they (WD) will want you to run their diagnostic test on it and if it comes up clean then you won't be able to RMA it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its new, bought it from a decent e-seller who basically takes anything back if its within 30 days (it is) and will ship a new one no questions asked. Only responsible for shipping charges to send it back.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I don't know about the 80gig SE drive, but my WD 200g SE is very quiet, I never hear it doing anything, and the system is right at my feet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will RMA it back for a replacement while still can and see if it makes a difference. May also try some rubber grommets with a ground strap as well. Since my case is 100% aluminum I also think that its acting as a really good sound resonator. I've tried PaxMate (sound dampening rubber) but it didn't seem to make an improvement. Drive is extremely fast acoustics aside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.