Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am hoping I have an easy problem to solve. I took and old HD for a desktop, bought an enclosure, and I use it as a backup drive for my laptop without a problem.

I also have HD from a laptop that I bought an enclosure for, but this does not work. My guess is because the HD is formatted with Microsoft Me, and the laptop I’m using to view it is XP home.

I assume I need to reformat it, but I cannot even get it to show up under “my computer”. It is spinning with the green light. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. Under administrative tools, I found disk managment, and nothing appeared there either.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Welcoem to TSF:

Just for info: Win XP has no problem viewing the contents of a WIN ME formatted hard drive.

I would check you cable / maybe try another

check your USB controller version to be sure it 2.0 complaint (hardware manager then click on properties of USB controller hub) / if not you can download updated usb controller drivers from your mobo website

check the drives jumpers on the USB enclosure / I would try it with no jumper on ???? if thats no go / try it as a slave

regards

joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried two different HDs in the same enclosure with the same result.

I also tried it on my desktop with the same result.

Can you explain this: "vcheck the drives jumpers on the USB enclosure / I would try it with no jumper on ???? if thats no go / try it as a slave"?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
The drive needs to be jumpered as a master, and if you've tried more than one drive, and also more than one computer, I'd say there's an issue with the enclosure.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Hi

Firstly (and I apologise if you've already said) do you know if the drive can be seen on any other system ... if not then the drive, the USB controller or the connections to it may be faulty or incorrectly attached/configured.

If it does work as a USB drive on another system it is possible it is "hiding" (though unlikely as I'd still expect to find it in drive management) behind a mapped or virtual software drive.

Windows ME (or any 9.x) needs drivers to see USB drives (as I recall) but I don't think that's the issue here so my only other sugestion is that one or other (laptop or drive USB) may not be talking e.g. one may USB 1.x and the other USB 2.x.

Hope some of this helps :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.