Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a Maxtor 160 GB drive installed and working for more than a year, along with a Promise IDE controller (bundled with the drive) Suddenly, the controller can't detect the drive. I've changed power and data cables, plugged another drive into the same cables (was detected), plugged the drive into the motherboard IDE controller, etc., all with no luck. When power is applied, the drive spins up, and I can feel the heads doing something, so I think the drive itself is ok. It's under warranty, but I'd really like to get my data back! I'd really appreciate any ideas.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Sounds like a dead drive. If you really need your data back, one option is to buy another drive of the same model, and move the PC board to the bad drive. If the electronics have died, which is what it sounds like, you'll be able to access the drive. I just used this technique for a customer's Maxtor drive, I happened to have the same model as the dead one. :)

·
Lacoka Nostra
1,067 Posts
To help keep hard drives last longer, get a HDD fan cooler for your hard drive........

·
Administrator, Automotive Team Manager
5,294 Posts
Viper said:
I have to concur with the others here, dead drive. :dead:
MT concurs as well... bad electronics is what it sounds like to me too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
klic said:
I've had a Maxtor 160 GB drive installed and working for more than a year, along with a Promise IDE controller (bundled with the drive) Suddenly, the controller can't detect the drive. I've changed power and data cables, plugged another drive into the same cables (was detected), plugged the drive into the motherboard IDE controller, etc., all with no luck. When power is applied, the drive spins up, and I can feel the heads doing something, so I think the drive itself is ok. It's under warranty, but I'd really like to get my data back! I'd really appreciate any ideas.
First, I would suggest callling Maxtor support, especially if your still under warranty. Second, try the area.below..the guy says if your hard drive is spinning, see if its seeking...then your drive is alright. Also, have you looked into your Bios under HD detection?

http://www.fonerbooks.com/ide_hd.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.