Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am adding a new 2.1 G drive to my ancient Toshiba T1900C laptop. I inserted it under the keyboard and started Partition Magic. PM recognized the full capacity in FAT32. I converted it to FAT and now it only recognizes 51.2 MB on the drive.
I guess FAT doesn't like partitions over 2 G.

Anyway, how do I start over? Whaterever I do, the laptop will only recognize 51.2 MB.

John

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You need to fire up PM again and fix the drive. You are correct in assuming that FAT16 only recognizes a 2gig maximum size partition. You need to make it a FAT32 partition, and it'll work properly.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you're running W95a, it's probably past time to upgrade to at least W98. Most systems that are running W95 will be compatible with W98, and it'll be a lot easier to deal with large disks, to name just one of many benefits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. I have Win98 on my Dell XPS R400 (dual booting with XP) and my other laptop. This old laptop only has 20 MB RAM (max), so I am worried about overloading it with Win98.

John ;)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
With 20mb, I can see why you're concerned! :) Maybe it's time to just retire that one? Of course, you could load W95b on it, that includes support for FAT32...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got it from a trash bin for my 9-year-old. We're fixing it up to learn and have fun. (Along with an Apple 7100/80 - yikes!). Now I just have to figure out how to get IE 5 installed w/o access to the internet. :confused: I found a web site with downloads, but it hiccups with all the zipped files. X(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.