Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brothers windows XP computer is on the fritz. just yesterday, he installed windows XP and it was runnign fine. now its not. he starts up the comp, it goes to the windows xp loading screen, the screen flashes once, and then the computer restarts.... he is gonna try to reformat, can someone help me out here?

·
Security Manager, Analyst , Rangemaster, TSF Acade
39,538 Posts
Hi and welcome to TSF.

My first thought is a problem Power Suppy Unit(PSU).

Some things to check:

- are all cables securely in place
- is the RAM securely in it's slots
- is your power supply sufficent
- do you have sufficient cooling in the case

Try clearing the CMOS by removing the battery for a few minutes then replace and reboot. Make sure the BIOS settings are all at default.

Regards

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
hi shiningknight,

another thing you can tell your bro to do is to fix the master boot record and see if that works out for him. tell him to boot the computer to his windows xp cd. first though he will need to go into the bios of his computer and change the first boot device to "cdrom".

save settings and exit the bios. with the windows xp cd on the cdrom the computer should boot to the cd. then on the main menu choose repair instead of install.

the computer will ask for an admin password and if he doesnt have one, tell him to simply hit enter to skip the process. then on C: type in "fixboot" without the "". it should only take a sec and after this is finish, tell him to reboot the computer and see if he can get to the desktop ok. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.