1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have recently upgraded my machine

i have a new hard drive,

the old hard drive still works perfectly if i connect it as a master

however even after multiple formats/ windows installs the new hard drive just will not work

it displays error messages on startup

either "error loading operating system"
or " no operating system found" (or something similar)

i was wondering if anyone could help

the hard drive (new) is a maxtor 40gb ata HD

let me know any suggestions

thanks in advance

Barney

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
Hi,

What you need to check is to make sure you have both units on that cable compatible. For example, if one is set to Cable Select, the other one should be also. If one is set to Master, then the other one must be set as slave.

Check the drive already on there and also any other drive on that cable, because most come from the factory as set to Cable Select, and that would give a mismatch on the settings. Also, make sure the one you want as master is on the end of the ribbon cable and not in the middle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i only want one though

i had that running, i can still have it running

i can access the new HD through windows if i boot XP from the old drive

but i cannot get XP to boot on the New HD

i need a good cloning app really i suppose

let me know

sam

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
Barney:

You are in a great position to take full ADVANTAGE of the real world of back up / cloning

go to www.xxclone.com the program is free to try for 30 days / I love it and NO I have nothing to do with the program dont know about them whatsoever !!! I just love what works EASY

and xxclone.com is just that

download the program
then after install all you have to do is open the prog / select your source drive (old OS drive) then seelct your target drive (new maxtor)
go to the advanced tab towards bottom of window / click on advanced / put a check mark in the three boxes that say write ini ~~ boot something ~~ and MBR

thats it !!! then just click the git-r-done button

or you can try installing the OS the normal way / which if you have been running for a year or more might be well worth the fight to get to a "CLEAN" install / nothing beats a clean install for faster and more stable !!!

what I would do is remove the old drive entirely / then connect the old drive in the master drive position on the cable / make sure you change jumpers to primary master / then reboot / see if the bios list the maxtor as the primary master in the bios start-up screen / if it does youre all set ???

now for the nity gritty / what is the status of your install disk???? is it a retail windows version or a recovery disk that came from a manufacturered computer like Dell. gateway, compaq etc ???? many times the recovery CD's arent able to complete and fresh install in a different or changed machine ~~ they are diliberately desingned that way ???

let us know how you progress/ dont hesitiate to ask more questions

regards

joe

·
Registered
299 Posts
Check in your bios and see if there is a delay for the spin up of the hard drive. Some motherboards offer this function up to 4 seconds to allow the hard drive to get up to speed before being accessed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.