Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Unfortunately, I used a 3rd party registry cleaner and now I cannot use disk deframenter or disk clean up. My disk defragmentor says, "please run chkdsk/f" but it does nothing to help. I get a message that says ..."could not lock current drive." Then is asks if I want to use Chkdsk /f upon closing and on next restart of Windows chkdsk will occur. When I press "y" and restart my computer nothing happens. I am very frustrated. Have uninstalled all 3rd party registry cleaners and still disk defrag will not work.

Thanks
Jill

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
in the run box type
sfc /scannow
and press enter
then try running cleanup and defrag from safe mode

·
Roaming To Help
5,667 Posts
Jill, to unlock a drive run chkdsk /x

However do what dai said first. It won't be much of a problem usually. If it doesn't work instead of "f" parameter, run chkdsk /r.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I enter sfc /scannow in the "run" box, I get this message, "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache." Then it asks for my Windows XP Professional SP2 CD. All I have are the disks that came with my machine. I have a Gateway Tablet running Mcrosoft Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005. I have kept up with all of the updates, but obviously I am missing something. I have two System Recovery CDs. I tried both of them and both times it says they are the wrong disks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to thank you both Dai and Kalim. Here's what I finally had to do. When I tried to use the sfc /scannow, it caused the Windows File Protection to continually ask for my disk. Just for the heck of it, I plugged sfc /scannow in my Google browser. I found this web site: http://www.compphix.com/windowsfileprotection.html. This site explained completely what problems I was having with sfc /scannow. So, I did exactly what they said by copying the I386 file to my C: drive, and then changing the registry key so sfc /scannow went to that file instead of trying to go to my disk drive, which kept saying I had the wrong disk. Anyway, eventually got into Safe Mode, did chkdisk /r and chkdisk /x just to be sure I was doing the right one. Upon rebooting my computer began checking as it should. After it repaired everything, I tried to use my Disk Defrag, and BEHOLD!!! It works so far! So thanks a lot for the help.

This is a great web site for folks willing to hunt a little and learn.

Merry Christmas and have a Blessed New Year to you both.

Jill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.